Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Telcom Internet Service and Netflix
I have wireless internet for $29.95 with three computers. Allows me to get rid of my landline phone and just use cell.
We Love Hawaiian Tele [Big Grin]

Our Internets are unbelievably FAST for living all the way up in the Top of Orchidland!!!

We didnt get a bill for a few months When Hawaiian Telecom took over Verizon... Maybe Damon was getting our bill....lol [^]

In Seaview their service is often horrible. At times I get 2MBs, but often I get under 200 Kbps. I would gladly pay more to have cable if we had it down here. I called their techs dozens of times and the problem was never solved. Eventually they sent someone here and they set me up with a static IP address and it's better but even yesterday there was a few hours when pages barely loaded. Often, you can't even watch youtube videos because it is so slow. It bugs me that we pay the same as customers who genuinely get 3MBs service.
robguz, ask them if they will switch you to a different pair. I did that and my troubles went away. It was a bit more complicated as Bell South/ATT customer service stinks also, but that fixed my issue. I had three lines and I had them switch my dsl to one of the other lines and then just dropped the original as I didn't need it any more anyhow. It was originally dedicated to dsl and my 800 number but I just forwarded the 800 number to another number and dropped the line. The bottom line is that not all pairs are equal. Some will have issues they never seem to fix. Some are just better, at least until a hurricane comes along or a contractor digs up a trunk or a tree falls on it, etc.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Thanks everyone for your feed back. I am also considering A Netflix offer with streaming service they claim can either be accomplished with ethernet cable or wireless router. Wondering if anyone has tried this service with Hawaiian Tel dsl?
I have had Netflix for 6 years, and used the streaming video feature when we were in Hilo and Puna. I would not rely on it for all entertainment. The free films are mostly older movies and you nee da a really high speed connection to watch movies on it. AND you have to buy another machine if you want to play it on your TV's. You have to play it through your computer and if you want it on your TV, you have a box that connects to your computer (extra charge).

quote:
Originally posted by Lokahi

Thanks everyone for your feed back. I am also considering A Netflix offer with streaming service they claim can either be accomplished with ethernet cable or wireless router. Wondering if anyone has tried this service with Hawaiian Tel dsl?

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Devaney
How did you connect to the stream when here in Hilo/Puna? Have you used it in Cali? How did it work for you at home? The Hawaiian Tel dsl claims up to 3Mbps download and Netflix claims streaming needs at least 1.5Mbps so should be enough. Thanks for your comments.
I have used it in CALi and in Hilo. We also had a sling box unit connected to our home Cable Connection... amazing really, you can even control the DVR and watch on Demand with it. But that unit is more for travelers than residents. Sounds like Hawaiian Tell has enough juice. I was using my ATT Internet Card to connect my computer to the Internet. We were able to do so in Hilo, but not in Honokaa.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
I bought the Roku box too from Netflix for streaming videos. We love it. We went down to their lowest monthly 8.99 a month and watch online videos in between. I just read that the newest thing is that you can use the xbox 360, or some blue ray players
to streamlin videos instead of buying the Roku box, that would be great if you had one already.