Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safarik vs Naeole
quote:
Originally posted by Jon

Hmm another mark against Emily [Sad]

Hate to bust your bubble Jon...

But just found out Safarik signed it as well... and Fred Blas Signed it too Wink[Big Grin]

-------
General Election Unofficial Poll
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

[quote]Originally posted by hikatz

Wheelabrator, and the fact the company still owns land in West Hawaii

huh?

Where does Wheelabrator own land in West Hawaii?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
[/quote hikatz, Wheelabrator was part of the Henley Group that owned real estate, including properties in Hawaii, Since the WMI, acquisition not sure of that status. (http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-h...story.html) The Flanders case is interesting because of the history/spinoff of the company's involved.(casehttp://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/appellatecourt/2005/5thdistrict/April/Html/5030737.htm)
The reason I posted this topic, with Pilago and Jacobson gone, (voices of reason) the makeup of the Council (4 seats) is drastically changing. This is why I felt we needed the strongest candidate who can hold their own and work with the other members of the Council. Because of our dependency of tourists, isolation from the mainland and the Nation's economic meltdown, the County is facing major hurdles and severe money problems. In other words it's a Bloody Mess!
Dear Barbara -

I don't know what your personal issues are with Gary Safarik, but I do want to address your comment: "He spent NO TIME on the PCDP". As a polital junky I remember that when the General Plan revision had all but fallen by the wayside, it was Gary who not only resuscitated it and pushed for its passage, but it was he who made the motion in Feb. 2005 to include community development plans AND THEIR FUNDING in the General Plan. It passed. There would be no PCDP at all if not for Gary IN THE VERY BEGINNING, SETTING THE WHOLE THING IN MOTION.

People who think Gary did nothing for Puna don't know the inside story. It was he who figured out how Council discretionary funds could be siphoned to community nonprofits for worthwhile projects. This resulted in supplies and equipment for both the Auto Shop and the Culinary Arts program at PHIS, and the installation of security cameras there after several vandalism/arson events. At the time, he had less than a third of the contingency money that Emily has had to give out this past year. She wouldn't have been able to fund so many projects if Gary hadn't shown the way. Understanding how the system works was key to it all. I know that HPP has benefitted from contingency money, and, bottom line, you owe it to Gary.

He may not be the most warm and fuzzy candidate, but he knows how to get things done, even without money. When the PHIS auto shop no longer had a safe hydraulic lift, he arranged to have Lex Brodie's donate one. If we always vote for someone with charisma or a pleasant manner ONLY, we will forever be putting nice people into office who don't have a clue. I know where my priorities lie, and I hope that you will re-think yours. If you want to talk about this, give me a buzz and we'll have coffee.

aloha,
Rene
Mahalo Rene,

I clearly remember Gary's support of the 2005 General Plan.

I also remember following the GP adoption, his coming to HPP urging the HPPOA Board to revise the HPPOA Master Plan so that he, Gary, could put the revisions into ammendments of the 2005 General Plan. I was on the HPPOA Bd. at that time and was named chair of the Master Plan Revision Committee.

Our committee met weekly, from the end of Spring, through the summer, and into the fall. On October 9th, 2005 we presented the Revised Hawaiian Paradise Park Community Master Plan to our Board. The County received a copy, but has never used it, had no plans to use it, and from what I've gathered from asking specific questions to specific members of the Planning Department, this was a Safarik effort to support specific Businesses on 33rd Ave. in HPP... perhaps with the County picking up the bill?

In 2008, those businesses finally formed a hui of lot owners, applied for Special Permits, requested approval from the HPPOA Bd., followed the SP requirements, paved the road. They could have done that in 2005. That's what we asked them to do in 2005.

Gary's involvement had us working on a unnecessary revision every week from May to Oct. 9, at least 2hrs a week, not counting all the paper, etc. for nothing. My time is my time, not Gary Safarik's time to waste.

That is one issue.
ARROGANCE is the major other one.

His stonewalling HPP on contingency fund requests...

ARRRGGGHHH!

Let's have coffee and raise money for the PCMC.
Barbara