Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP under attack!!!!
Tom, Just what does that mean? You have the right to use lethal force to protect personal property?

Perhaps you could research and report back with some facts instead of putting forth a cliche.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
LOL... You should have the right...

Just remember to drag them in the house... and say you were in fear for your life.

oh, and make sure they are dead.... only one story that way.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Never even joke about that in public and in most cases private. In a worst case, it could come back to haunt you in court.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Rob,

Two warning shots in the head will generaly stop a thief.

No like get shot? Stop being a crook.

Now how much research would you like on this cliche?

The Lack
I would like for you to research the actual law before you recommend that people use lethal force and perhaps 1) end up killing someone and 2) end up in prison for years of their life.

It is quite flippant to talk of shooting people in the head. I think it is irresponsible unless you know the facts. Do you know the facts? I don't think so.

Check it out. You might even learn something.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by oink

quote:

Just remember to drag them in the house... and say you were in fear for your life.

Never even joke about that in public and in most cases private. In a worst case, it could come back to haunt you in court.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

That life...

Last time I checked this was still the USA.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
When I took the Hawaii firearms safety training class, it was my understanding that you can only meet an opposing force with the same force brought.. A huge difference from my native State of Texas [Big Grin]

Meaning if someone comes at you welding a bat, you can only use a bat to defend yourself.... ARGH!!! The only way you can shoot someone breaking into your residence in the middle of the night is if they are threating you with a gun. If they are only holding a knife, you can only defend yourself with a knife... I remember reading that you must try and run away and retreat to safety before using deadly force.... lol which is just stupid if you ask me.

I took the firearm class about 5 years ago, so hopefully things have changed but I doubt it....

edit: Just Found This online:

USE OF DEADLY FORCE IN HAWAII

Deadly force is justifiable only in self-defense or in defense of other innocents where one reasonably believes death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping, rape, or forcible sodomy may otherwise result. Use of deadly force for protection of private property can result in criminal charges. Using deadly force is not justifiable if it can be safely avoided by retreating or adopting other defensive strategies, except it is not required in Hawaii, unlike New Jersey, that you retreat from your home. You cannot justify the use of deadly force defensively if you initiated its use. Police officers are instructed to make an arrest in ANY homicide. The prosecutor then decides whether to bring charges.

Is it better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

You know, I lived in the slums of Ft. Worth Texas for 30+ years and never had our house burglarized, but I move here and in 3 months someone does it while we are at home. Damn lucky for then I did not catch them in the house, I did catch them (or who I believe it was) in the street about 30 min later. I had a nice chat with them. I don't think the cops thought much of my actions then ether.

I will not tolerate putting my family in danger, I have to assume if you break into my house, you are going to kill me and mine.

Transplanted Texan
Self defense is understood. Protection of your life is understood.

This is not Texas.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by oink

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

That life...

Last time I checked this was still the USA.

Know the law as it applies to defense. Make sure your actions will be seen by the authorities as within the law. Realize that if any part of your story is found to be false, everything is suspect. Drag marks would tend to look kinda bad for you. Be very polite to the police. Don't make any statement without a lawyer. That will irritate the police. Don't let that bother you and continue to be very polite, even friendly and helpful, but be firm about making a statement and keep your mouth shut. Even after electing to not make a statement per Miranda, any statements you make, not in direct response to questions by the police, are admissible. Don't wait to be read Miranda before keeping your mouth shut. When the police show up, show them what they are there for and immediately state that your lawyer has instructed you to not talk to anyone until he/she arrives. The exception would be about any information necessary for the safety of the police or information that might be necessary for effective first aid to anyone in need of help. Miranda only kicks in if you are in "custody" and being questioned. Ask one of our lawyers for the long definition of "custody".

I'm a firm believer in the right to bear arms (I have more than my share but not enough), the right to self protection and the protection of your home and family. I also support the self defense laws of both Fl and Texas. On the other hand, there is no point in doing more than what is necessary in the defense of persons or property, just because you can. Even if your actions are within the law, you have to live with the consequences for the rest of your life. I wouldn't want to have to remember every day for the rest of my life that I maimed or killed a youth that might have been salvagable, if I had other reasonable alternatives. On the other hand, if you break into my house when I'm there, you are not playing good odds.
</rant>

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.