Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anybody know...???
Hmmm still on the map as a road.

still... is it far enough away from 130?

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
far enough away from Hwy. 130 for what?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The Puna CDP designates Railroad as a hike/bike/recreation corridor. It is easy to assume that Railroad is a quick answer when they are still publishing maps that erroneously seem to show it as an existing road. However, aside from the right of way issues described by Rob, Railroad has other drawbacks. A big one is the fact that it meanders across HPP rather than being parallel to the other cross-HPP roads. Thus, it would have multiple intersections with other roads, rather than just the three (or four if Shower is crossed) a parallel route would take.

As a frequent attendee at HPP official meetings, I can tell you all that our community does not have a consensus on how to deal with the PMAR crossing the subdivision. Right now we are preoccupied with the road paving project, and nobody talks much about the PMAR. When I suggested at one meeting that the PMAR might be a way to get at least one road paved at somebody else's expense, I think most of the group thought I was joking. There are some people opposed to the PMAR on various principles such as environmentalism and rural preservation, and others opposed from a NIMBY mindset.

My own feeling is that something needs to be done, and for that to happen with the least possible disruption, opposition, and legal delays, we need to be talking and forming a consensus. Dr. James Weatherford has made some constructive and innovative suggestions which could serve as a model and starting point for discussion. I invite him to rehash those ideas here to start such a process.

Cheers,
Jerry
Is it far enough away for the alternative or emergency road.

as for Crossing HPP... you don't have to used the road as is, pick one of the other roads across HPP and use it.

As for what HPP thinks... No matter what the choice someone is not going to be happy, so pick the best, easiest/cheapest and go with it. I guarantee someone will be upset no matter what you choose.

From what I see you only have 2 choices... pick one. If Puna tries to force the county, state or federal governments to plan, fund, acquire the land and build a complete new road, I don't think I will see it in my lifetime.

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
quote:
Originally posted by Jon

From what I see you only have 2 choices... pick one. If Puna tries to force the county, state or federal governments to plan, fund, acquire the land and build a complete new road, I don't think I will see it in my lifetime.

Come to tonights meeting... and you might find out different[Wink]

Who's and What is to be condemned is still to be determined.

-------
My Blog
You never know where I might show up.

Transplanted Texan
If the need is as important as people say, cut through the nonsense and agree to use Eminent Domain to cease private property for a new 6 lane Highway 130 road and a new alternative road. If it's someone else’s property, that's their tough luck. If it's yours, it's for the good of the community. People have their rights but the greater good is the greater good and if people are forced to give up their land to the government so it can take care of everyone, that's the reality of the situation.

In the mean time, put a firm and absolute moratorium on new building. It's the people and their cars causing the problems on the road. Halt all residential construction until a road system is in place that can carry the current and added load.

The reason you won’t get what you need is you are responding as people. Take a cue from the developers. Do you think any of them care about the philosophical touchy-feely behind rules and regulations? No, they look for the loop hole those touchy feely things left open or who those touchy-feely things will work in their favor. When they find it, they exploit it. You want wider roads and an alternative route NOW, just mention that the area has a sizable number of families with children. Road widening and alternatives routes are required to evacuate them in an emergency. Anyone who says no to the use of eminent domain, a moratorium on new building, priority funding of these projects, and an accelerated construction plan to start immediately, well they clearly hate children. Are you a Child Hater? [Sad!]
IF anyone is interested here is a link to a PMAR proposal I did in 2006. It is titled "Puna Parkway" and somehow they renamed it "Pahoa Parkway". Since then I decided it should best be called "Paradise Parkway".

Puna Parkway

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Mahalo Rob for the articles and emailing them to us.
A few of us living in HPP pay attention to planning issues, proposed roads, county plans, etc. HPPOA has NEVER taken a position on any proposed road through HPP. James Weatherford and Rob Tucker have two different proposed roads that would traverse through HPP.

Does anyone really think that these proposed new federal monies would be allocated and used to construct a road though HPP?

When dealing with HPPOA, talk very slowly, plan to repeat yourself often, expect little respect and NO follow through. Sigh!!!

Paradise Parkway... I love it!!!