Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safeway to Lower prices
The smell in KTA is very noticable. It smells like rotting meat. It is not totally gross, it is bearable but it is evident.

quote:
Originally posted by punafish

Never noticed the smell in KTA before. Hmmm, maybe I'm olfactory-challenged-or just got used to being around fish all the time in Japan. I'm pay attention next time I'm in there.

Smelly or not, if there's a deal, I'm there.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
The choice is between stinky store or stinky prices.

Note: raising a stink doesn't help.Vote with your dollar.[Smile]
Well, personally, I would like a clean store and good prices, but if I have to choose, my stomach can't take anymore bad tummies, and generally if it smells bad something is bad somewhere and I don't need to pay to be sick. And I was raised on commercial fishing boats, so I do know when something is "fishy".
I love the poke at KTA however the smell is of something quite pungnant! I love to support the local economy, but I do not think their prices are all that great. And what is with this whole having to cut out coupons. Talk about old school, somebody needs to catch up to modern times. As for Safeway, they might be ok some of the time, everytime I go in there they are out of all the sale items. Gee, You would think they would catch on to our population is not what it was some time ago and they need to learn how to order enough supplies. Hilo is not the sleepy little town it once was, so looks like someone needs to wake up!!!!!!
da stink could be that of the cockroach infestation/population.
the roach living there is NOT an indication of poor sanitation just as an entomological entity...they smell in numbers and i have never seen any there...just a guess on what you may be smelling...like mold or old building or????
No...KTA just smells like fish and this odor is the worst towards the back of the store near the fish counter. I do find that KTA's produce tends to start rotting within a couple of days of bringing it home. So, if you are using the produce you buy there that day or evening..it should be OK. Otherwise, the rotting produce may be another part of the odor problem at this store.

I have also found a lot of expired products still on the racks and shelves. This is especially true at the racks of cold cuts, etc. One day a fellow was stocking as I was reading the expired dates on the turkey lunchmeat that I was thinking of buying. He did not seem at all concerned that it was all out of date. Oh well. I now buy my lunch meat at Safeway.
KTA gets fresh local produce which isn't picked green and left to ripen while being shipped in so it will rot sooner than the stuff selected and grown for it's shipping qualities.

They are usually pretty good about marking down the lunchmeats when they get close to expiration, but we usually shop at the Waimea KTA when we can so perhaps the Hilo store isn't as diligent.

We only shop at Safeway once a year when they have holiday turkeys on sale. I won't go in there again until next November. We try to shop as local as possible and they bring in a larger percentage of their products than KTA.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson