Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theft At The Hot Ponds.
It's a shame but best way to beat this is don't bring any valuables (just I.D.) and put your car key on a neck chain while you are swimming (except for electronic keys of course). A few arrests or stings would help as well. Be careful overthere. TheodoreJay
Thanks for the heads up. I am headed there Friday with some out of town friends.
See you in the surf
You can get a drybag that's just for keys and has a band for your wrist or ankle.

Carrie Rojo

"Every area of trouble gives out a ray of hope; and the one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable."
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Devany, we had a key made by the dealer, that can only open the car doors, that we keep with us. The electronic stuff is only for the ignition switch on our car...

Of course, then we are left to hide our ignition keys & everything else in the car & there are those who think nothing about knocking out windows... but at least we have the key to open the door!

ahh paradise .......happy new year !!!...next

RUDEDOGG
RUDEDOGG
Carey,

I had no idea that they made "normal" keys for the cars! That is a great idea.

I have a small dry bag but I had to replace a Saab Key for my car and it cost $150, so I hesitate to use even a dry bag. Aside from that I am not sure that there is even a Saab Dealership on the island! I am going to have to check that out! Thanks for the idea.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
We had ours made mainland, when we bought the car (mainland).... we always have 4 keys.... just in case! When we asked the car salesman for the extra keys, we discovered the replacement price... & it was almost a deal beaker!.. the dealer offered to make 2 door lock keys for free (I think he realized how shocked we were at the extra key charge!) With all of the wet stuff we do, I was very leery of an electronic key.... The only Saab dealer that I know of in Hawaii is in Honolulu:
SAAB HAWAII
GM Certified Internet Manager: James Berger
3030 WAIALAE AVENUE
HONOLULU, HI 96816 -1506
Telephone (808) 735-2488
Suggestion:

Get a "holo holo" car. (a rusty 1987 nisson works well).

Fill it with empty drink cups, wadded up newspapers, plastic bags(recycling!), diapers, and old dirty t-shirts.

leave it unlocked.

Hide keys and valuables under the debris.

Enjoy the beach!

Works for me, never been ripped!
Thanks Greg! Thats what I was thinking - we go there often at night and havent been ripped off in 20 years. But we do take the "piece of Bleep car" (with a nod to the song) or the truck. Leave it open. Window a bit down. Tie the key on the ice chest on a cord on the water side of the wall. We pretty much keep it for just these kinda things, or if we have visitors who want to go to Kehena.

Now all the things we are saying - leaving it unlocked, window down - what this says to anyone is - go ahead - live it up - so basically they know nothing of value in it, probably a 1/4 of a tank of gas to even joy ride with - etc. We make it not an attractive nuisance to possible thieves.

The truck says - this isnt pretty, or a toy truck for a pretty boy, but the person who owns it works for a living so they may be able to kick your okole if you steal it.

The other thing is - if there are kids in the park - having a little party in the parking lot, we talk to them and engage them in the outcome - "can you watch our car and keep a eye out for the crack heads while we swim?" This has worked numerous times. We invite them to be a stakeholder in the outcome and much more often than not it is very positive.

"hey here's beer - can you watch our car"

I'd be very careful with that. I've seen a few places where this idea has degenerated into a protection racket with guaranteed damage to your vehicle if you don't pay the ever-increasing rates to "watch your car mister".

I remove all valuables from the car and leave the glove box open.