Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coqui's silent?
Island Trust has some useful information here.

Damon Tucker's Weblog
Reply to PaulW and StillHope: I live in Orchidland and my bedroom window is about 12 feet from a "Coqui Habitat". Maybe it's just me. After all, I support legalization of marijuana and island gambling so why not little frogs who didn't ask to be here and have no choice other than to do what they do. I also wonder what the mosquito population would be like if all the frogs were dead.
No different at all.
Frogs don't eat mosquitos?
All I know is there are just as many mosquitos now as before the coqui's came.
Mosquitos were here before the frogs came, and they're still here.
quote:
Originally posted by centipede

Reply to PaulW and StillHope: I live in Orchidland and my bedroom window is about 12 feet from a "Coqui Habitat". Maybe it's just me. After all, I support legalization of marijuana and island gambling so why not little frogs who didn't ask to be here and have no choice other than to do what they do. I also wonder what the mosquito population would be like if all the frogs were dead.

You can talk to me..but ..(please!)keep 12 ft distance!

"Coqui's silent?" ,... centipedes are not[Wink]
Analysis of coqui stomach contents shows that they eat few mosquitoes. They eat lots of bugs found in leaf litter, which is where they spend lots of time during the day.
OK so the little squeekers DO eat mosquitos, and to suggest there are as many now as there were before the frogs arrived is a bit of a stretch because I can't think of a scientific way of proving it. Also, even one mosquito in the tummy of every frog, every night, adds up to a heck of a lot of mosquitos.
we've noticed it, too. they've been relatively quiet. but, we seem to have no more than 2 or 3 at a time. their "noise-making" doesn't bother us so much. might change my mind if there were more.

as for mosquitoes: what's up with the b52s? these mosquitoes are on steroids or something. they're huge, but am told that they don't bite?!

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james