Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accident on Hwy 130
This unfortuneate accident may just help speed up that process. "If" the bus will no longer stop along Hwy 130 bewteen Pahoa and Keaau ...it will affect many people.
This is a senseless loss.

For years, the Puna community has been begging for bus stops. The Hele-on Administrator, at one public meeting (during the 'Puna Regional Circulation Plan' exercise) told the community, "no need for bus stops, the drivers know where people get on..." How disgraceful and irresponsible!

Likewise, the State DOT has been told for years of the hazards to pedestrians along Hwy 130, especially for those boarding/de-boarding buses. They just want more cars going faster.

Now, we have lost another neighbor, his family left in mourning; and several drivers and bus passengers have been traumatized by this tragedy.
Is this really what it takes to get something done?

My family sends our heartfelt condolences to Mr. Caraballo's loved ones.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
One of the things the state/county "truely" understands and will take immediately notice of is a "lawsuit" which I'm sure will be coming....
What am I missing here...

he got off the bus and walked out into traffic.... Bad things happen when you walk in front of a moving car.
Its not the counties fault, its not the drivers fault, its the fault of the guy that walked out in front of a moving car.

you guys that are pushing for traffic circles are not going to help this out you know... at least with lights you can have a pedestrian crossing.

I guess growing up the in the big city teaches you how to cross the road.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
What you might be missing here Jon is that you were not there and you do not know what happened.
It's all third hand info.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
True...

But I have read the news, and if that can be trusted at all, no one should be trying to blame anyone.

Jon:"What am I missing here..."

Compassion! Empathy!

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else" - Cemetery Nights/Stephen Dobyns
we were headed that way to "explore" the area and passed the "accident" and saw the shoe on the highway as well. the ambulance was just leaving the scene and another was on its way.

this leads me to question the safety of school kids that ride the yellow buses. on highway 11 the other day, the driver stopped in the middle of the road; some kids got off and crossed in front of the bus to the other side. the oncoming traffic, thankfully, also stopped. i would say that the crosswalk was less than 10ft away, but wasn't used.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Hmmm getting kind of personal there?

You have not idea how I "feel" about it. But Reason and Logic says that its no ones fault but the one walking in front of the car.

Just because I "Feel" bad about it does not mean that the Bus Driver or the County should have to deal with a lawsuit.

If anyone should should file a lawsuit its the people in the cars against the parents of the one that walked into oncoming traffic for not teaching him better. They actually have damages.

quote:
Originally posted by Menehune

Jon:"What am I missing here..."

Compassion! Empathy!

"Each thing I do I rush through so I can do something else" - Cemetery Nights/Stephen Dobyns

I believe the law says if a Yellow Bus is stopped in the road, traffic both ways has to stop. The one I see around the house has the pop out stop sign also.

quote:
Originally posted by kani-lehua

we were headed that way to "explore" the area and passed the "accident" and saw the shoe on the highway as well. the ambulance was just leaving the scene and another was on its way.

this leads me to question the safety of school kids that ride the yellow buses. on highway 11 the other day, the driver stopped in the middle of the road; some kids got off and crossed in front of the bus to the other side. the oncoming traffic, thankfully, also stopped. i would say that the crosswalk was less than 10ft away, but wasn't used.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry