Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawi?
Well..we did it. We just returned from our day trip to Hawi. Beautiful sunny warm and windy! Went through all the little shops and had a bite to eat...went down to the Airport where the wind turbines are and we had a great view of Maui. Took the over the mountains road on the way up (good view of Kona Coast except it was a bit voggy) and the coastal road on the return. Also stopped at Lapakahi cultural park and walked around the ancient ruins.

It was a great day trip....tomorrow we drive up Mauna Loa Road for the first time.
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

...tomorrow we drive up Mauna Loa Road for the first time.
I hope you post your experience of that trip too, I always wanted to do it but I never did! (Probably the only road I haven't been on since I moved here 20 years ago!)

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

I recommend a look at Tres Hombres for eating in Kawaihae. Check out the bamboo swinging saloon doors.

Also, in Hawi, "Bamboo ..." restaurant?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
quote:
if I lived in Hawi & owned a cute little curio shop I'd smile w/ glee when the tourist stop & give me their cash (not frown). Seems like tourism is a major scource of income on the Island. Why would the residents resent that? Alternately board up all of the windows & put up allot of keep out signs

You must never have lived in a small village overrun by tourists. [Smile]
Of course the shop owners want the business, but they're a teeny tiny percentage of the local residents.

Also, knowing an artist who had one of those shops, the complaint is that tourists don't buy art; they buy little things ... she did better reselling stuff from Pier 1 than on art. The people who buy art are the people who own those beautiful homes. Hawi is more art galleries than souvenirs.

Why do the residents get disgusted? Because Hawi is a tiny town with very little parking and it means residents can't enjoy their own town. I'm not saying they're unfriendly, they aren't. But privately people who aren't retailers will shake their heads and say "I was going to stop at ______ but it was crawling with tourists."

Having lived in Mendocino when it was as run down as Pahoa used to be, and having seen the transition, until it drove me away, I'm pretty familiar with how a barrage of tourists sucks the soul out of little villages like that. Sorry, it just does.

It's your home, you know, and there are all these people who don't even know where they are ... tourism is helpful and encouraged, but not enjoyed, even the shop owners get burnout.

Theodore, I'm sure you're not that kind of tourist. No one from Punaweb would be.
The most beautiful item in Hawi is Joanne Cameron, ISIS on
the Sat. morning TV show in the 1970s.
"...crowded with people in tourist garb ..."

I normally wear ratty shorts and a shirt (untucked). Will I look "touristy"? (I'm kinda serious with this question)
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

quote:
if I lived in Hawi & owned a cute little curio shop I'd smile w/ glee when the tourist stop & give me their cash (not frown). Seems like tourism is a major scource of income on the Island. Why would the residents resent that? Alternately board up all of the windows & put up allot of keep out signs

You must never have lived in a small village overrun by tourists. [Smile]
Of course the shop owners want the business, but they're a teeny tiny percentage of the local residents.

Also, knowing an artist who had one of those shops, the complaint is that tourists don't buy art; they buy little things ... she did better reselling stuff from Pier 1 than on art. The people who buy art are the people who own those beautiful homes. Hawi is more art galleries than souvenirs.

Why do the residents get disgusted? Because Hawi is a tiny town with very little parking and it means residents can't enjoy their own town. I'm not saying they're unfriendly, they aren't. But privately people who aren't retailers will shake their heads and say "I was going to stop at ______ but it was crawling with tourists."

Having lived in Mendocino when it was as run down as Pahoa used to be, and having seen the transition, until it drove me away, I'm pretty familiar with how a barrage of tourists sucks the soul out of little villages like that. Sorry, it just does.

It's your home, you know, and there are all these people who don't even know where they are ... tourism is helpful and encouraged, but not enjoyed, even the shop owners get burnout.

Theodore, I'm sure you're not that kind of tourist. No one from Punaweb would be.

LOL ... ratty and untucked is good ..
what does your hair look like?
and do you wear sandals or athletic shoes? Those are tourist garb.
Residents wear slippahs or work boots.

If wearing shorts and T-shirt, slippahs ...
If wearing athletic shoes, then jeans or long pants.
Shorts with athletic shoes and socks, or sandals - tourist.
[8D]

ed to add PS. - Green, your post is entirely a quote? Those always confuse me what point is being made when there's no additional comment. ???
Uh oh, I do wear sneakers [:I] I'll have to invest in some slippahs when I get to Hawaii! Know anyone who can give us a proper "Hawaiian Makeover" ?[:o)]

Thanks for the advice KathyH!!!!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I thought slippahs were sandals,ya mean you wear bedroom slippers when you`re out and about?