Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Bus Stop built on Puna Makai Loop North.
JW, I jest.

But the point is that social infrastructures in the last 40 years have become terribly expensive due to superfluous rules and regulations. The reason for this is all the laws that have been enacted to protect us from ourselves. And then folks act surprised that 5 miles of road cost 55 gazzilion dollars.

You can thank the folks who support the Politics of NO! for this.

Liberalism thrives on the double standard.
Liberalism thrives on the double standard.
I believe that in Hawaii the runaway costs are more due to simple corruption than superfluous rules and regulations. In most measurable ways Hawaii is way behind the times in regulatory excess. But transparency in government procurement, kickbacks and payola operate at 19th century levels.

Case in point. It cost me about $600 to survey my small town lot. At about the same time DHHL awarded a contract to survey five similar sized lots for $70,000. Care to guess where the money went?

At about that same moment in time the average costs of lot preparation in California subdivisions (water, sewer, road) was about $20,000. State of Hawaii was spending an average of $67,000. Care to guess where the money went?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob makes a very good point. Citizen initiated projects such as the ones successfully completed by Mr. Blas and his Team are technically subject to some basic zoning and safety regulations, but not the arcane bidding and contracting procedures in place for the State or County of Hawaii. Those procedures are almost guaranteed to run up the price of anything, and the Dept. of Hawaiian Homelands is a great example. People die of old age on the DHHL waiting lists while building lots are prepared at several times the legitimate cost and several times the amount of time really needed. Other State and local agencies are just as bad. It's shameful.

I'm pretty sure this bus stop is on private property.

I don't know enough about zoning laws and all the other regulations, but I say if it's on private property then let's just get off the whole regulations and whether it's legal or not and just say Mahalo!

Damon Tucker's Weblog
I want to thank Fred and his team for their ongoing efforts to improve our neighborhood. They took action instead of complaining. What a concept!

Tim
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius