Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP Cave
Wow! Mahalo everyone. The Kazimura one - read the PDF article (thanks Bystander),and it's 37 miles long, longest lava tube in the world! Bystander, when we get there maybe you can introduce me to one of the Fern Acre neighbors who give tours. Mella, I bookmarked the Hawaiian Acres site. The splunkers club sounds like a fun way to learn. And it's just for their residents, there's probably those who give tours. Read about the road from Orchidland to HI Acres being closed and how a couple enterprising residents were letting drivers through their private roads for the prices of a beer or some bud? LOL The Pahoa cave was sounds really interesting but I'm not sure if the Hawaiians would like an ancient burial ground being explored. And someone in HPP wrote before you can sometimes hear or feel the ocean under the ground. That's pretty awesome. I know it can be a nuisance and danger, like emorata's handyman falling into a big puka. All those wild orchids can hide em too. It's funny -the first time we moved to the BI and didn't know much of the language, we saw this big lot in Puna with nothing but Ohia trees and lava, and a sign that read Beware of the Pukas. We quickly looked that up in our Hawaiian Pocket Dictionary. We pretty much guessed what it meant, but it was still fun. Well, if I wasn't so stressed about the move before the Hawaii move situation, I'd be jumping and down right now with excitement. You've really renewed my belief that I need to be in Puna! I started this book over two years ago and then put it on hold until I get back to the B.I. Thanks again -

Cindy

P.S. Thanks for the link to the tours Bystander. My Internet connection was lost and then when i got it back, I forgot to return to the link. Didn't know there were tours lol Maybe I should have a glass of wine and relax. It's been a rough day!
Thanks again for all the info
Cindy

"Cavers", as I think they call themselves now, used to be referred to as "spelunkers".

Is the Kazumura Cave the same one that is also called the "Flying Vagina Cave"? I think that may be from a Hawaiian name for the cave. If not, where is that cave?

Les C
I found the Hawaiian translation for "flying vagina", koho lele. It appears that this term, in English and Hawaiian, is used quite a bit. Google it.

Les C
oh..my..gawd. LOL

Carrie

"The opportunities to reach into the lives of others in an inspiring way arise in countless ways every single day..." Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
That's too funny Les ROFLOL. That reminds me the Hawaiian language makes frequent use of
metaphor (I wasn't thinking of that particular term, no LOL, but it reminded me how I was introduced to the metaphor. I asked my ninth graders if any of them go to Waipio Valley. Oh my gaaawd. Most of them just bust up laughing and being a new and quite naive young teacher, I didn't exactly catch on right away. Mary Pukui writes in her book Hawaiian Proverbs about the richness of the language and what is called the kaona, the underlying meaning. There's all these fun sayings too in the book that Hawaiians used for subtlety. For example if a bald man walked by the polite and clever thing to say would be something like, the moon shines bright tonight. If a group of cute wahini walked by, it'd be something like the flowers are blooming so abundantly today. Well, I'm way off the cave topic. Well maybe not. Cave and Waipio Valley probably have similar meanings lol. And all the mele about nature? Lots going on underneath the surface ;-)
G'night
Cindy

I also have a "cave" on my place too. The mouth is apprx 50'X 50'. It's absolutely amazing, you walk thru the brush and make this jog right and bammmm there it is. This massive opening apears out of nowhere. I sat at the rim and looked down into the "dragons mouth" and contimplated my mission. I could feel this very powerfull energy coming from the "cave". It wasn't a bad feeling but a feeling that something absolutey giant hapened here once. Going into the "cave" it takes a steep incline and then makes it's way rather easily to the "cave" floor. The incline is basically a giant rock pile with awesome red and grey lava chunks. You can go right or left but I have only gone right. My neighbor told me that before I bought the place he walked in the cave for more than four hours and didn't come to an end. Once you clear the cave mouth area the floor smooths out almost flat and it looks like a black river of rock with all the folds of a wet stream frozen in time. When you look to the ceiling of the "cave" you can see choclate colored "drips" of stone that form millions of sharp spikes like a medievil torture bed . Sheets of these "spikes" have fallen from the ceiling and lay on the ground that you can pick up and examine more closely. There are also stalagtites & stalagmites forming as well. Pure white towers are coming up from the floor like a unicorns horn. The path took a jog right apprx 750ft into the cave and I shut my Maglite off and I looked left, then I looked right, and you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. I realized I had only a few "glow sticks" and no back-up flash lite so I decided against traveling further. I have the rest of my life to explore that "cave" but you have to be safe at all times when operating in evirons like that. Pools of water can collect and become traps. You can roll an ankle on loose debris or worse. The ceiling had all kinds of small maybe 2X2 holes that on the "surface" you could fall into, so I can see how a person could fall into one.
I had also "heard" of a "cave" close to the new "quickie dickie mart" in Orchidland that had some sort of steel vault constructed in it. They found it when they were bulldozing and I guess it was locked shut. When they got it open, it was stacked floor to ceiling with skeletons. The story goes that there was a plague that killed these people and they were sealed in this vault. creepy
Anyways, I have pictures too if you wanna see just let me know. I was thinking of doing tours of my place too but I need to know whats-what and not be some crack pot monkey with a headband flash lite leading people to their peril.
Nate
"Hale Mo'Olani"
House of the Dragon
Hey Nate Please do post pics. Sound neat.
A not yet comercialized cave.

Aloha
Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Nate, How can one find out more about the vault found in Orchidland? That sounds like it would be a great story to follow up on. I like some of those obscure stories out of history.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

I was told about the "vault" from my neighbor when we were talking about my spot. The whole subject started because we were talking about dozing and he said the dozer found the "vault" but it may have just been a steel door formed into a tube.
Myabe you never really "retired" or "quit" the Sugar Plantation,,, they just stuck you in "The Vault"? just kidding.
Maybe any census reports? or CLDS has a research center there next to the 7-11 on Kileau. Maybe even the National Archives ?
I dont have any idea how far back the Tribune or Advertiser go but maybe there too??
pull the permit for the lot dozing of the "mart" then that would give an apprx date of find and might provide a company that did the dozing that can be tracked down and interviewed to see if he can provide any leads(were the doors smashed in place?? removed and can be examined at "XYZ Park"Wink?
I dont know ?? anyways...
Nate