Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How common is this type of theft?
There is nothing in the world easier to fence than fuel.
Careful about giving away the secret, Mr Bullwinkle! I'd recommend closing this conversation down, frankly, if the problem doesn't exist yet. Some idiot kid is going to get fried or frozen in the process of trying if they catch wind of the possibilities. . .
no but I have seen idiots try to do it with a wet / dry vac

I saw this quote the other day should credit the author,,,

"I'd rather be educated than protected" I think propane is one of those - grin
Yup, one of the biggest boat fires I've ever seen was someone shop vac-ing gasoline out of the bilge of 60 foot powerboat.

On other notes, I've filled lots of the "unfillable" little one pound cans off of big tanks as it's pretty useful for small cookers, by the secret technique--it's actually pretty useful and can save a lot of money.
how do you turn a fixed asset into a liquid one .....
buy a propane cooker for the boat

back to your normally scheduled topic
The good news is that boat fires usually extinguish themselves when they reach the waterline.......

punatoons
Interesting answers.

Stealing LP from a large 125 or 250 gallon tank - I haven't a clue, but would guess there might be an element of risk. Also time consuming.

Stealing a 20, 40, 100 lb cylinder - pretty easy, 1 adjustable wrench, a couple of twists (unless you have the easy connect knob) and load the whole up and drive away. About only risk is getting caught. A 5 minute job?

Given the relative propensity of 20, 40, & 100 lb cylinders, seems they would be the more likely target.

I know my dogs bark when a pig gets near our 250 tank, but I haven't witness them taking any of the LP yet.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
So the answer is :

If it's not JWITZ,there's nothing to worry about!?[Big Grin]