Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scrabble
Scrabble? Yes!

We've played for years, including especially when the children were home (number 2 of 3, a male by the way!, is a killer at the game -- making twice the score of other players).
We still play a game occasionally and love it.

Bring it on!

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
anyone ever run into Upwords? it's a 3D version of scrabble.. well sort of 3D.. you can build on other words or OVER them as long as the resulting play ends in real words.. we ran into it a number of years ago and never went back. once you're hooked scrabble seems sort of.. well.. flat
Some of the best scrabble players in the world don't speak a word of English, they've just memorized the lists. These are world champion level competitors from either India or Bangladesh I think. I read a great creative non fiction book my mom (a scary good scrabble player) gave me about the author's journey into the world of competitive scrabble. Really a fun read but I can't remember the author.

I haven't played for about 6 months, but I love scrabble, my husband is a really good but aggravating player, he strategically locks the board up with killer little words. We printed out the 2 letter word lists from the internet and have amended with a "house" list of acceptable Hawaiian words. Maybe we could have a Punaweb scrabble party, I've got 2 boards, the old school flat board and the deluxe spinning one with ridges to hold the tiles, extra chairs, and a huge living room, but we would need to scrounge up some card tables. Who's game?

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
i understand wanting to, "exercise the brain." i used to do the daily crossword, but haven't since we moved here.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

Scrabble - that's our "it's raining outside and we can't do any work" activity Smile
I have a program on my iphone called Checkword. Really neat. Contains 2 lists of words. SOWPODS is a 267,751 word list of 2006 International English speaking countries that don't use TWL. TWL is the 2006 Tournament Word List containing 178,691 words used in North America, Thailand, and Israel. When we started, we only used it to verify, but now we use it for education Smile Basically, it gives you all possible words for any given letter combination. When we are ambitious we also look up the definitions, but seems we find less than half Sad.
Unfortunately, with Sophie's sister here next week, no more "cheating" LOL

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
We enjoyed playing Scrabble (and its various spin-off games) while the kids were growing up and yet found it was even more fun all around to modify the rules for everyone to win, every time. People can become so vexed in competition against one another; believe it or not there was even a death in Alaska (by shooting, if I recall correctly) resulting directly from a heated game of Scrabble gone tragically wrong. Using our House Rules we all end up enjoying the conversation more than in regular Scrabble and usually learn something new, too, using this modified approach described below. In case anyone is interested:

House Rules for Scrabble at AlaskaSteven’s Place

1) The object of the game is to enjoy each other’s company while learning.

2) We are in competition to beat our old highest score, have the most fun, and learn something new or interesting--both individually and as a group--not to beat or defeat anyone else.

3) Sometimes more honor and glory are earned by a player who takes a lower score individually so the group as a whole may score higher overall.

4) When placing words, play to open up areas of the board and to leave as many open letters as possible for others (not to “block” options).

5) Save red squares and other high point-gainer opportunities for someone who has high-value letters to play on them (e.g., if on your turn you could play “so” on a triple word square, refrain and place “so” somewhere else, allowing the teammate with “zoology” to play the high point letters there instead).

6) Words in any language are allowed as long as they do not need to be capitalized, the English character set reasonably accommodates them, and a dictionary is available to prove the word if challenged (for example, “nyet” is allowed if there is a Russian-English dictionary present, but a word requiring Cyrillic characters is not allowed). The exception to this rule is if a player has one or two blank tiles and chooses to use them for representing characters not in the regular letter set.

7) Players may use a dictionary at any time except when it is their turn; a player’s dictionary or dictionaries stay shut from the beginning to the end of his or her turn unless the word is challenged, in which case s/he may use the dictionaries to defend the word (this rule speeds up the flow of the game enormously).

8) When a player places a word, s/he pronounces it correctly, states what part of speech it is (if known; discussion on such aspects is allowed) as s/he intends to use it, and --if from a language other than the main language of play during that game-- from which language the word is drawn. The player then defines the word in his or her own terms and uses it correctly in the context of a sentence. Extra honor and glory for weaving the word together with a joke, a bit of trivia, a personal story, snippet of poetry, a work of art, historical reference, demonstration, and suchlike. Example:

“jagged” -adjective describing a zigzag, serrated, or uneven surface (often an edge) or quality. “The broken peanut brittle had jagged edges.” (Show-and-tell demo with some peanut brittle, shared around).

9) Any player may request the assistance of any and all other players at any time, including by showing tile boards and asking for suggestions or begging for a particular spot on the board be left open until his or her turn comes around.

We also use the common rule which allows folks to (during their turn) swap a letter tile on their board for a blank tile already placed on the board whenever they are holding a letter the blank was used to represent, if indeed they want to swap ‘em, and so on. We are fairly flexible. The main point of the House Rules is everyone enjoys the game, learns something, and nobody “gets beaten” -up, down, or otherwise. Much more fun for younger and older players mixed together in the same game, as well as for super-spellers together with the spelling-challenged.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Nirvana vs Rick Astley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN75im_us4k

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
in tim i date

1. to make timid; fill with fear.

2. to overawe or cow, as through the force of personality or by superior display of wealth, talent, etc.

3. to force into or deter from some action by inducing fear: to intimidate a voter into staying away from the polls.

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Alaska Steven, I like your rules! That is a great way to play!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Chez Glen, great games get photographed and then the photograph goes in the box. I have three different versions of the game: 1) classic, 2) French and 3) a cute little fold-up travel version you can play on the plane.

My version of the rules is simple: If it isn't in the lid of the box, forget it. I apologize in advance for that side of me. I usually try to keep it to myself.

if anyone wants to - we can play here one Saturday or Sunday afternoon? We can play two tables with 4 players each (although I only have one scrabble board!)

Steven - we promise no shootings! Wish you were here to play already!