Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
super easy homemade bread
Carol,

I tried to google the no knead bread recipe from N.Y. Times, but for some reason, couldn't get it to come up on Internet Express. Would love to have the recipe for it, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks,

Dee
Dee, here is a link to the NYTimes article that got most the the "no knead bread" thing going.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html

Royall

The variation I am using is 4C flour (I've tried various combinations of white, whole wheat,9 grain cereal so far, the rye/whole wheat batch is rising now)2 cups water, 1/4 teaspoon yeast and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Mix all the dry ingredients up (including the yeast)add the water and let it sit covered for 12-18 hours, fold it over a few times, let rest 15 minutes, form your loaf and rise again on the baking pan until it doubles in size. Then bake at 425 in a preheated oven. I don't have a dutch oven so I didn't go that route, but the ciabata style loaf came out fine, as did the round and the traditional sandwich loaf. We started a rye based sourdough starter yesterday so I can do a sourdough hunter's rye and because the ciabata would be better with a little tang. breadtopia.com has good info on variations and I really like the video demonstrations. Happy baking!

Carol

edited to add a missing step
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol,

Bread should be consumed within 3 days, otherwise you need to refrigerate it for longer life. I have made a lot of the no knead breads and they are fairly good, but I have to say that some real kneading releases amazing texture, flavor and crumb. The glutens also do best when allowed to spend some time doing a slow cold ferment. Most breads I make take two days or more till the finish, but very little hands on work. If you go to my blog and put BBA into the search you will find some great "bread tales". I have been doing hearth breads for more than 10 years, baked in a stone insert inside my oven. Or a wood fired oven. No bread machines.

And I have to say that Royall is doing some great breads as he is learning technique. He may be a novice, but he follows directions impeccably and he is discovering the wonders of home baking in a multitude of ways.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Royall...thanks for the link to the NYTimes article, but for some unknown reason, my Internet Explorer won't let the link come thru...I tried several times to get thru on that link, but no luck.

Carol....thanks much for the recipe. I was able to get one recipe online, but it did call for a special pot to bake it in, which I don't have either, so I'm going to try your method.

I do have some sourdough starter in Oregon which was given to me by a friend who told me that the original starter for it was begun 125 years ago in Alaska. I've had my starter for several years now, & it always works really good for me. But....having it in Oregon sure doesn't do me much good here!!! Isn't there an easy way of making starter from scratch? Anybody??? Thanks,

Dee
Very easy to make starter from scratch, but it will never have the elements of flavor your old one has. Maybe you can get someone to mail you yours. You do not need the special pot, but it makes things a lot easier if you are doing no-knead.

Here we need to use pineapple juice to get our starter going and to feed it.

Do you need an actual recipe or can you figure that out? I can send you one from The Bread Baker's Apprentice, the book I am cooking through, but I would have to type it all out for you. I think you can find one on the internet using the key words sourdough starter and pineapple juice. I also use rye flour in my starter, you can get it at the health food store. Works much better for fermenting.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
And I assume all you bakers out there are familiar with the King Arthur Flour Bakers catalog (www.kingarthurflour.com). I'm considering taking up a crack habit because it would be cheaper than my addiction to the stuff in this catalog.

In addition to great flour (which Costco occasionally sells for cheap, btw) King ARthur sells a fresh sourdough starter that you can use to get your own batch going. Twenty years later, I can still hear my aunt screaming at my uncle, who had just cleaned out the fridge and thrown away a blob of goop -- my aunt's "family heirloom" sourdough starter.
quote:
Originally posted by d96778

Royall...thanks for the link to the NYTimes article, but for some unknown reason, my Internet Explorer won't let the link come thru...I tried several times to get thru on that link, but no luck.

I have some sourdough starter in Oregon which was given to me by a friend who told me that the original starter for it was begun 125 years ago in Alaska. I've had my starter for several years now, & it always works really good for me. But....having it in Oregon sure doesn't do me much good here!!! Isn't there an easy way of making starter from scratch? Anybody??? Thanks,

Dee

Sorry the link doesn't work with your browser. It works good with Firefox.

If you would like a starter that's going good, I'd be glad to share my starter. I live in HPP and if you're interested just let me know and I'll take it out and get it pumped up a bit. Also Devany mentioned the Pineapple juice starter, that is what I have. here is a link to the tutorial that got my starter going. I've still got 5, 6oz. cans of pineapple juice here, so If you want I can give you a can of juice and some starter. Just let me know. Love to see others enjoying bread baking!!

http://yumarama.com/blog/968/starter-fro...tch-intro/

Royall

Hey, Rich. Safeway sells KA. I bought some today for 5.49 (normally 7 bucks) I can't justify the shipping for flour. Maybe some day my taste buds will demand it but right now I'm just happy my bread is edible!!

Royall

Royall...I would love to have a bit of your starter. If you'd like to email me at d.hovanski@earthlink.net with your email address or phone number, I could make an appointment with you to stop by & pick it up.

Would also love talk story about your house....I followed your thread about your building experience all the way thru...really interesting stuff!

Thanks so much for your very kind & generous offer.

Dee