Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousteau's Punalu'u Resort?
There is also a timeshare listed there. "Vacation Internationale" I have never seen a trade available there through RCI, but haven't been extremely diligent.

I remember stopping by there on my way to Volcano and there was the Punalu'u Bakeshop , and a park across the street, where they were having a July 4th weekend celebration with people selling stuff and hula dancing.
It was really nice.

Check out my Exotica CD at www.tikiyakiorchestra.com
want to ruin punalulu? then this is a good plan

quote:
I remember stopping by there on my way to Volcano and there was the Punalu'u Bakeshop , and a park across the street, where they were having a July 4th weekend celebration with people selling stuff and hula dancing.
It was really nice.

That is actually in Naalehu town. Punalu'u is about 6 miles to the northeast

quote:
quote:
It was really nice.

That is actually in Naalehu town. Punalu'u is about 6 miles to the northeast

Kona Guy ?

I thought that might be the case...I guess I was just thrown by the name Punalu'u Bake Shop. It was really nice down there. And I' HATE of those big "upscale" (I hate that word) resorts....Nothing worse than shutting out the middle and lower income people from having a good time and a decent vacation. I don't visit hawaii for that, nor would I want to live around it.

I hope they are very eco minded if they do this.

Edited by - tikiyaki on 09/17/2006 09:03:21

Edited by - tikiyaki on 09/17/2006 09:04:16
Check out my Exotica CD at www.tikiyakiorchestra.com
Let's see, the first development there was put in for about thirty million dollars (back when thirty million was a sizeable sum) and then was sold a few years later for three million, wasn't it? Wonder what they are selling it for this time, who is gonna dump a bazillion dollars into it and who is going to buy it for a mere pittance later.

A surprising number of large scale developments are built for enormous sums of money then sold several years later for about ten percent of what it cost to build them. I'm not sure why, but it is more common than you'd think! Wonder who takes the loss on these sorts of things? I suppose a corporation eventually, but they can't pay on debts owed so their suppliers must take a hit, too. Hmm. Oh well, hopefully Jean-Michel will keep the development from impacting the ocean life as much as he can. Given a choice between quality of life for ocean life and making money, though, he may have a tough time swaying the opinion of a board of directors.

A hui hou,
Cathy

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
I am not positive, but seem to remember reading somewhere that the beach park at Punalu'u is owned by the previous developers and leased to the County for a nominal sum annually. Makes me wonder if public access would be curtailed by the new developers, Cousteau branding notwithstanding. Yes, Hawaii law states that everything below the high tide line is public domain, but in other cases developers have managed to limit access by restricting parking or by making non-paying visitors walk inordinate distances to get to the beach. Anyone have more concrete info on this issue?

Aloha,
Jerry

The park area is indeed private property and the County is allowed to use it and the property owner can close it whenever it wants -- without notice and without compensation.

I own some land just a short walking distance from the Jean-Michael Cousteau resort outside of SavuSavu on the Island of Vauna Levu in Fiji. It is the most eco-friendly resort I have ever seen. You actually really have to look for the resort in order to find it.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Cousteau is on PBS tonight with a new documentary 'America's Underwater Treasures'
http://www.pbs.org/kqed/oceanadventures/...treasures/
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison