Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Itinerary for the itinerant Californian
Why not hens? They don't crow, they lay eggs and they not only eat centipedes, they also eat croqui frogs! Everyone should have a dozen of them around.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Glen, Also to the list of plus, they have free public transportation (most of the way to the shore!) that gets you out to Pahoa, the beaches or over to Hilo.
Aloha, Carey

We LIKE hens. Really. But can't have 'em in HSRE...(wink, wink). Don't wanna do anything not allowed (wink, wink).

Carrie

"To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater." Bono
http://www.hellophoenix.com/art/dreamhawaii.Cfm
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2
No one here but us chickens. BWAAAAAAAACCCKKK.
Glen, two more music offerings for the 2nd week of October:
Oct. 7 Tahiti Fete all day at the Civic Auditorium - 9:30-6:00, awesome dance last year....
Oct 14 Hui Okinawa Autumn Festival - all day, food, crafts & entertainment, Hilo Hongwanji Sangha Hall
Aloha, Carey

Aloha Carey et al! (and everyone in legal speak!) I am surely blessed to have so many friends helping me with my itinerary. Already I feel that my trip will be too, too short. I will be in Puna on October 11th, leaving on the 14th. Ay-yi-yi. What was I thinking??? Not enough time. Hellooooo Hawaiian Airlines, I need to move it again. Anyway, I hope to run into some of you. Others have already invited me into your homes already. I can say this: I would not be coming to Puna if it weren't for the people in this forum. I know you are just a fraction of te 14,000 or so people in Puna, but what a great fraction. If I am lucky, I will add to your number.
14,000 hahaha where'd you get that figure???
according to 2005 estimated figures its about 40,000!!!
And if you consider the increase in traffic just this year, I'd say the actual figures are much higher.
2005 estimates for HPP are approximatly 11,000 (of course HPP is HUGE!! the size of a town in itself) and 4,500 for Hawaiian shores,parks and beaches!!!

Glen! Did I read that right? 3 days??? which really means one day plus travel?!? I spent 2 weeks there and didn't learn nearly enough! And hardly met anyone.
Wayne

Glen,
Find a sprouting coconut and take it to Kalapana. Plant it there in the lava flow from 1985 with the hundreds (thousands?) of other young coconuts planted there by people. If your coconut sprout grows into a tree, you belong in Puna.
...the swaying palms of Kalapana will again offer respite from the hot sun, as it did the day.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
I got that figure from Mark of Ronnie and Mark. Please call Mark and tell him that things are getting JUST A LITTLE TO RELAXED OVER THERE from the point of view of statistics! 40,000 it is.

As for the short trip, me so sorry. The ORIGINAL TRIP was to Kauai -- the Island for haoles who can't afford to buy up what's left of Lana'i. But y'all pulled me to Puna through the sheer force of your insanity.

Trust me, I can do more in 3 days than most people can do in 10. It will not be a relaxed or relaxing trip. I will relax when I live there.

Tomorrow I further my Hawaii Obsession my PARTICIPATING IN AN EVENT FOR NOVICE OUTRIGGER TYPE GUYS. I work an office, and have a pretty sedentary thinky-winky lifestyle so this will be a step for me.

Your idea about planting the coconut appeals to me greatly. I do believe in connecting to spirits among the hustle bustle if you possibly can.

But where do I find a sprouting coconut? I don't mean the metaphorical sprouting coconut --one so bursting with juice that it breaks its shell and thrust forward into the light. I mean an actual sprouting coconut.

If you have an actual sprouting coconut you can loan me, I will be at the Rabbit and, uh, Dragon? Turtle? Nene? That place in Kapoho with its own hot pond, in which I will surely drown.