Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Ocean Entry Yet, Surface Flows in Royal Gardens
Late June/early July the plume was pretty well illuminated. I have a pic of it as my PC wallpaper.

Three hours ago, I also noticed a "glow" in/at/on/around Puu-Oo, but I'm thinking it was moonglow.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
There was a 3.0 quake just west of the rim a couple of hours ago and the lava down in the pit is really churning away.

Hey, Eight, is that the photo taken with time laps with the stars showing and the plume blowing off to the west? Have that one on the wall... Great photo!

Royall

I have been posting a blog called Hawaiian Lava Daily for a few months now for those that are interested. I focus primarily on the molten lava activity of the Kilauea Volcano: http://hawaiianlavadaily.blogspot.com/

~~~ Leigh
Great Blog Leigh! I got that on book marked for sure. Puts a lot of the sites I visit into one spot. Wonderful!

Royall

Thanks Royall, I hope I can post some moving lava soon! I may be out at the end of highway 130 tonight to check out the visual activity and report back tomorrow morning at my usual PunaTime posting hour of 11:00 AM [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by PunaLeigh

I have been posting a blog called Hawaiian Lava Daily for a few months now...

on which you say, about this morning's earthquake, that it is 'likely due to the rapid inflation of magma pressures below the summit'. I find that interesting. And, am curious how it is that you have come to that conclusion?
@ Dakine:
A high or rising rate and volume of magma pressure being pushed up within the magma chambers, as we are seeing now, deforms the surrounding earth and literally bends & cracks it; creating numerous earthquakes. Many of these are small, but occasionally this magma movement produces some strong earthquakes; sometimes much more intense than yesterdays 3.0.
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

quote:

I have been posting a blog called Hawaiian Lava Daily for a few months now...

on which you say, about this morning's earthquake, that it is 'likely due to the rapid inflation of magma pressures below the summit'. I find that interesting. And, am curious how it is that you have come to that conclusion?

quote:

@ Dakine:
A high or rising rate and volume of magma pressure being pushed up within the magma chambers, as we are seeing now, deforms the surrounding earth and literally bends & cracks it; creating numerous earthquakes....

wow! interesting indeed! but might there be another reason? considering that earthquake was almost nine miles below the surface could there possibly be a different set of forces involved?
Has anyone been up to the Jagger Overlook the past few nights? We have been thinking about an evening trip up there, and some glowing gasses or other visual stimulation would be nice.

Cheers,
Jerry
We went up last night. Yep, plenty glowing gasses. Chilly too.

Dan