Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check out one of my side projects.
are you looking for a free hard drive? you can compress the files and upload a giant zip file. If you would like to offer some code to this project please do so. otherwise why not just stop complaining?
You're gonna go far.
quote:
Originally posted by 808blogger

are you looking for a free hard drive? you can compress the files and upload a giant zip file. If you would like to offer some code to this project please do so. otherwise why not just stop complaining?

Yes, I could compress/zip large amounts of files. Most people here probably don't know how to do that.

You offered unlimited file storage. Only being able able to upload 1 file at a time isn't very effective to upload files or gain customers, is it? One certainly can't effectively utilize your mp3 player ability if they upload zip files of mp3's can they? How about uploading 80MB of photos at a time? Sounds good, but how does one share an 80MB zip file in any effective manner?

The inability to have more than a single folder to contain all of those unlimited files would make it extremely difficult for the average person to maintain, not to mention being extremely slow and painful to start off with.

The documentation on the site is woefully lacking and the average non-technical person will never be able to successfully negotiate it, even though it is a very simple application.

I don't write code. I am a 25+ year IT veteran with more experience in infrastructure design, technical employee management, project management, technical writing, disaster recovery and business continuity than you can imagine.

I am trying to help you. You should be able and willing to take constructive criticism if you want this "project" to succeed. Make changes or watch it die.

Did you write that entire post to gloat in those last 2 paragraphs? Thanks for your advice. I'm glad you feel your an expert. Your scope is obviosly limited as to the uses you are able to consder. Btw are you offering to write documentation that you were complaining about? You just want a free hard drive I suggest you get jungle disk and an s3 account.

808 - what's the point of your site? Is it a place to backup a disk? Is it a place to share files or pictures? What is it? Where's the contract? Where's the agreement that files someone uploads to your site won't be used by you?

Sorry, I won't be using your site no matter how legitimate you think you've made it.

There's more:

"A valid e-mail address. All e-mails from the system will be sent to this address. The e-mail address is not made public and will only be used if you wish to receive a new password or wish to receive certain news or notifications by e-mail."

Nothing about passing on email addresses to third parties and you didn't say which email address anyway, just "the email address". Yours or mine?

Finally:

"THIS AGREEMENT CAN BE CHANGED AT ANYTIME WITHOUT ANY NOTICE."

Do you mean you have our files now and you'll then change the terms - or do you mean I can change it if I use your service without any notice?

Thanks, but no thanks.
interesting concept. but wouldn't it be better.. safer.. more secure.. blah blah blah.. if I just used the cd/dvd writer that is built into my 'puter? or maybe spring for an external hard drive? or even do both! which I do.. dvd's are archival and non-destructive when stored properly.. and the external drive is easy access.. and damn - unless you break into my house.. get these things.. and have reason to use them I suppose my data is more secure than anything on the net will ever be. but still it's an interesting concept, and I wish you all the luck in the world! and of course am curious how you propose creating a healthy enough revenue stream to justify the effort? and keep it afloat!
have any of you ever used imgur.com? if you cant figure out what to use it for don't. stay classy punaweb.
Be aware of copyright law violations when you partake of the file sharing part of this. I guess memories of Napster are short-lived......
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I assumed the best when I read your offer and I signed up and did some testing for my own curiosity.

Your snide and arrogant responses to questions of mine and others here as well as your deletion of my questions that were posted on your site's forum makes me realize that I want no part of your "little project". It appears you are not trustworthy to say the least.

What your site needs is a way for people to unsubscribe and delete their account.
first negative comment came from you mdd7000

I am not the only one involved in this nor am the only admin...

@EightFingers i guess you dont use the internet much....