Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$1.5 million toward a coastal road into Puna?
Here is the money to start the widening.This money is only enough to qualify for Federal funding and get the real money to build it.If it didn't take so long to get anything done in Hawaii,There could have been Federal stimulus money to spend on it :

100. T127 KEAAU-PAHOA ROAD SHOULDER LANE CONVERSION, KEAAU BYPASS ROAD TO VICINITY OF SHOWER DRIVE, HAWAII

DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION FOR RECONSTRUCTING AND WIDENING THE EXISTING SHOULDER AND CONSTRUCTING NEW SHOULDERS. THIS PROJECT IS DEEMED NECESSARY TO QUALIFY FOR FEDERAL AID FINANCING AND/OR REIMBURSEMENT.

DESIGN 860

CONSTRUCTION 13,000 6,000

TOTAL FUNDING TRN 2,600 E 1,200 E

TRN 10,400 N 4,800 N

TRN 860 X X

101. T128 KEAAU PAHOA ROAD IMPROVEMENTS, KEAAU TO PAHOA, HAWAII

DESIGN FOR WIDENING THE TWO LANE HIGHWAY TO FOUR LANES OR ALTERNATIVE ALIGNMENTS IN THIS CORRIDOR. THIS PROJECT IS DEEMED NECESSARY TO QUALIFY FOR FEDERAL AID FINANCING AND/OR REIMBURSEMENT.

DESIGN 3,300

TOTAL FUNDING TRN E 660 E

TRN N 2,640 N
Obie,

Would you mind translating that?
About four years ago, while looking at property for sale in HPP, the realtor mentioned I should take consideration of a roadway being built in the future. At the time I didn't know he was talking about a possible future inheritance. Will I still be young enough to drive when this is completed?
Probably not
Does anyone know where in Nanawale that the future road may be intended to go? I would assume somewhere along Mauna Kea Road, but that road is well over a mile long? Maybe near the far, North East corner of the subdivision?
Does anyone know how this proposal relates to the various proposals floated in the past for the Puna Makai Alternative Route (PMAR)?

I have downloaded the draft and final reports of the Puna Regional Circulation plan, and the Puna Community Development plan Independent Group document labeled the Kukumoto PCDP Independent Report, which has a very different set of recommendations in it, and found them interesting reading. ?Has Hawaii County even set the process by which this route will be planned?

When I read these documents one thing that is very clear is that the recent growth of HPP has already rendered some of the assumptions moot. For instance, one route for the PMAR was preferred in one plan because it had relatively few houses at that time. Since then some parts of that route have been heavily built out. Any knowledgeable input would be welcome.

Carol

ed. to fix grammatical error.
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
MDD,
The documents I looked at seemed to call for a Kahakai Blvd. to Kehau where it meets Mauna Kea in Nanawale route.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
It seems to me that there was a previous Consultant that did the EIS, if it wasn't EIS then I'm wondering what the previous consultant fees were for.

mella l

NO really! I don't, want to read your blog!

mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I'm new here, so please forgive my general lack of knowledge. Does anyone know why they're trying to create an entirely new route, rather than simply improving/developing an existing one? I'm thinking Railroad Ave. which supposedly runs from Kapoho all the way through HPP and on to Keaau? Or what about Government Beach Rd, which runs from Kapoho to HPP?
Government Road is in the tsunami inundation zone so no federal money would be available to creating an alternative route for evacuating lower Puna if it used Government Road.

Railroad no longer has legal right of ways for big stretches, and where it does they are far narrower (as little as 14 ft. in places) than needed for an alternative evacuation route. It also goes through the lands of some very powerful land owners who are rumored to not want it there. If you google PMAR (puna makai alternative route) you will probably find the links to the final report on the PMAR, although the fast build out of Puna over the last few years has rendered some of the assumptions in the document incorrect already.

In my humble opinion it will eventually go exactly where the Shipman's want it, I am just praying that it isn't right through my backyard!

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb