Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
netiquette question
See what happens because I don't preview my posts. Never even saw that, lol. FYI the word the filter censored was wa nker, nothing I consider hard core.

Wow this cracks me up!! Kathy I had no idea there was a filter censor!

mella l

NO really! I don't, want to read your blog!

mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
mella, I didn't either. I'm pretty sure I've seen language here that a filter would catch. But I can assure you I didn't type a string of astericks. When I know there's a filter, I check my post to see what happened to it, but here I didn't. I wonder if the verb form of **** is acceptable.

ETA No, wa nk is censored.
I so admit that I am guilty of changing or deleting my posts altogether. It happens when I stupidly get sucked into a senseless argument of sorts with really stupid people. I get so pissed (can I say that?) that I got sucked in, that I go back and just delete the entire post.[Sad!]

My ultimate goal is to recognize the bate being dangled and avoid it entirely, thus having no edits for ruffled feathers. [:I] I am getting better, but you know that cliche about Rome...

I can't stand when I spell incorrectly and it's glaring...so then I just fix it.

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Well, I do edit mine, typically from not proofing, glaring errors, sometimes even to add stuff. In most cases I don't annotate why the edit. I do think it is rather poor to edit your post AFTER someone responds and your edit serves to cast the respondent negatively or drastically change the perspective of the original post. One thing I find particularly annoying, perhaps even disingenuous is when someone choses major edit instead of adding a new post - especially if that poster has a history of frivolous postings. OTOH, I also find it somewhat wasteful when a posted adds a new post instead of making a minor edit. Fortunately, these two cases are in the minority and most do a great job.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Well color me totally gray! I did not know you could edit a post...I try to do that carefully before I hit submit..I preview it [thanks for that feature by the way] do my fixing and then submit. Looking at all the icons I cannot find one that says 'edit' so you all are spared my revised 'reprise' of an entry. Smile

“A penny saved is a government oversight.”
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)

So what do other people think? Is it just me, or is rewriting your post after the fact poor netiquette?

Hear, hear.

Whenever I go back to edit a post --either to correct a typo or to add some comment of substance-- I highlight the changed portion in a different color (orange, usually) and make clear note of the edit very specifically at the bottom, like a "PS" ...to omit doing so distorts the reality of the record and smacks of dishonesty, imo.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

All creative work is derivative.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcvd5JZkUXY

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

quote:
Originally posted by Chuysmom

I so admit that I am guilty of changing or deleting my posts altogether. It happens when I stupidly get sucked into a senseless argument of sorts with really stupid people. I get so pissed (can I say that?) that I got sucked in, that I go back and just delete the entire post.[Sad!]

For some, "senseless argument" is one where they can't defend their own beliefs, and "really stupid people" are those who disagree with themselves.

This rationalizes going back and removing original statements when they realize that their own beliefs are unjustifiable, gives them time to go back and look in the mirror and just say "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!"
Well if you think that, it's okay. Maybe you're right or maybe you aren't. I don't care.

I was admitting that I do it. That's all I have. I will try to do better, ric.[Smile]

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
No need to improve on my account. Nobody's perfect.

I was just pointing out that 'stupid people' and 'senseless arguments' might not actually be that stupid and senseless.