Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current lava flow info?
It wasn't an entrance fee, but a PARKING FEE. When the County Administration was approached about this idea, they did not say it was illegal or not possible. So what facts did she not get straight. How many people post on the Punaweb without getting their facts straight? I would say a lot.
quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Whoever told Emily that there could be an entrance fee was wrong.

When did Emily ever feel compelled to get all her facts straight before embarking on an adventure?[Big Grin]

I thought this topic was about Madame Pele's activities not our councilor's activities.

I am going out tonight to check it out, I'll give a report when we get back.

Carol

edited to add: the above link is just a repackaging of the USGS site http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/activity/k...status.php which has tons of information if you dig deep!
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
The link I gave is not a "repackaging". It consists of a new article from Big Island Video News along with a new/current video of what you can see from the NEW viewing area and even tells you that the NEW viewing area is open earlier than when the county ran it. The new hours are 2-10pm.
The maps, photo and text are all from the USGS website, the video did not load when I tried the link, so all that could be seen was the "repackaged" information. And even the local paper had news of the "new" hours weeks ago.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Kjlpahoa,

"How many people post on the Punaweb without getting their facts straight? I would say a lot."

You errant post on the shopping frenzy thread about Priority Mail comes to my mind as a start.
What does it take to keep a thread from getting hijacked these days? This was a straight forward request for information from anyone who had been out to the lava flow recently, and MD7000 and Greg were the only two posts even vaguely on topic.

I'm sure Glen would be the first to tell you that Madame Pele can be a jealous woman, attention shouldn't be drawn from her to petty squabbles and politics. This really is a case of the mundane distracting from the divine.

We leave in half an hour, I'll post a report tonight or tomorrow.

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

The County can never charge for admission to the area. That is part of the contract between the county and the property owners that own the area that the site is on.

I thought it was a "public" property.
So are the owners some big company or regular folks?
The stipulation of the land owners is that NO fees be charged, period. If the County violates the agreement I assume it is nulified and anyone using the area would be tresspassing. The county provided a donation box, but I don't know if the new vendor has kept it.

The HVO's update today: " The flow front had reached the vegetated area (kipuka) just west of the end of the Kalapana access road, and were 0.3 miles (500 meters) northwest of the County viewing area. HVO scientists will visit the flow field today to assess the current location of the flows. "

Sounds like good viewing ! I'm looking forward to Carol's report.
Greg,my question was about the owners.
Sorry Alex. I didn't see your post.

The viewing area is on private land owned by mostly local hawaiian families. There is a state owned right of way that was the former Chain of crators road. This takes up a small portion of the area, including the parking lot. I suppose if the county just allowed people on this right of way, they could charge something, but it would severely limit the viewing.

To say that the county is wasting money in the area is not true. Think of the hundreds of visitors that come to Puna Makai every evening to see this spectacle. The county is providing a safe destination. It is up to local residents and businesses to take advantage of it. Many of these folks drive all the way from Kona; and return the same night. What are Pahoa businesses doing to attract these people? Not much; they still roll up the sidewalks after dark.