Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the good ol grateful dead...coverband
Can't resist weighing in as saw/heard Warlocks at St. Michael's Alley when they used to be on University Ave (at least St. Mike's is what memory sez), and the reason not many danced is cuz there wasn't any room-- you had to block someone's view to do it and we were too polite in those days, I guess...

-dwajs
-dwajs
I saw the Dead in 1964 doing a Sunrise Easter Service on Mount Tam with the Airplane. I was just a young teenager. Mount Tam was an island in the clouds with the spires of the Golden Gate Bridge in the distance. It was quite an experience.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
just to make something clear, I shouldnt of said we are a grateful dead coverband, i should of said we are a band that covers gd songs...as in, we dont try and emulate jerry bob phil billy mickey and whichever keyboardist. we just jam some good dead tunes. But I am happy to read all of your first dead show stories. When Phil released his book, I went to his book signing and got to talk story with him. He is a very cool guy. if interested his book is searching for the sound. pretty good read.
Saw the Dead at Woodstock. I can tell you why they were not in the film. Saw them many times at the Fillmore East including a show with the Allman Brothers before Idlewild South came out. The two bands jammed until daylight. Awesome. How come I'm not surprised there are many old Dead Heads here?
Wow! thats a story! keep pushing those buttons!
SHUT UP!! That was cool! Way to have a memory![:0][:0]

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
That's a fantastic story, da kine!

abe, no need to feel pressured to sound just like them. I think your post reminded people of some good memories and it's fun to talk about them.

ETA, Mauka, do tell why the Dead weren't in the film.
I watched my little quarter acre in Kalapana Gardens get covered with lava maybe on that same day. Great Story!
The Dead at Woodstock - They seemed to be so freaked out and overwhelmed by the sheer enormity of it all that Jerry gave a long monologue which had something to do with two coasts becoming one coast. "Like man, the West Coast is on the East Coast and there's only one coast." They tried playing some music but it didn't come out like music. We were all tripping but I thin they took a little more than the rest of us. Crazy weekend. I had gotten busted on the way up on the NY Thruway with a kilo of pot and 1,000, yes 1,000 hits of MDA and got let go with a warning to get my car inspected. What a time! One would almost have to wind up in Puna.
I grew up in Palo Alto. Saw alot of the Live/Dead shows. Left 1970. I was staying in a hostel in Amsterdam when American Beauty released. Fun. Ahhh, the memories, however few they may be.
There is a group of guys up in Fern Forest who do alot of GD stuff.

Dan
question: what does a deadhead say when he runs out of pot ?

answer: "christ that music sucks!"

just joking......

riverwolf
riverwolf