Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seaview BOD meeting
Bob, there is a reason for a difference in the past and present Board of Directors position on this type of issue. It was unclear, up until recently if our board was restricted exclusively to park maintenance or not. Our articles of incorporation and Hawaii State law have made this issue more clear. While the board would rather not have this issue put before it; S.P.A.C.E. asked for this letter of endorsement. S.P.A.C.E. is a member of our association and has the right to request this of the board.

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
-- Beca Lewis Allen
For the BOD to issue a letter of approval, it suggests that the whole community of Seaview is in favor, and I doubt that that is true.

The whole request for a letter of approval smacks of political leveraging.

In my opinion, it is not appropriate for the board to make a statement one way or another.

From the armchair, Dan
I'm not an attorney but I have served on several HOA boards and I'm fairly familiar with what the duties and responsibilities of the BOD are. A letter of approval by the BOD in this case would have no legal standing.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
(This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors http://KonaBoardOfRealtors.info)
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

The reason for the timing is this: the amended Special Use Permit application needs to be filed now, and can't wait till the next AGM.
John,

I agree. The request by SPACE for a letter of approval from the BOD is certainly an attempt to sway the County towards approval of a use permit. The use permit process shouldn't consider such input, but might. Politics.

Dan
John your right, a BOD Letter has no legal standing in this situation. Yet the county takes the opinion with a lot of weight. An example of the possible need of a BOD's opinion is that the approval of a BOD is requested as part of the Village Center request/approval process within the P.C.P.D. The impact of such a letter is understood by the board,therefore this request is not being taken lightly. Efforts are being made to hear the communities concerns. I am sure that community input will reflect in the vote. This is not already decided.

-- Beca Lewis Allen
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Well Rob,In my opinion with a general election or vote,everyone should be able to cast their vote,but on a limited board vote,conflicts of interest are not what keep the public process healthy. Ryan s.
Just to be clear.... the Seaview BoD will not be deciding the status of the application. The Planning Commission is the best venue for everyone to express their support or opposition to the application.

I haven't seen the application and am not aware of what is being proposed though I think that it is a positive thing for SPACE to be seeking consideration from the Seaview BoD.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
well put Rob.I agree on both points.

-- Beca Lewis Allen
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Rob,

I have to disagree. The BOD is not whom SPACE should be seeking consideration from; It should be seeking input from the membership.

The BOD is in place to manage the routine business of the association, not communicate the members opinions. This should be put out to the membership if SPACE wants the association's opinions.

BTW, I have no vested issue, one way or another, about SPACE. I have never attended, nor seen SPACE. From what I hear, it sounds pretty cool. I am just expressing my opinion about process.

Dan