Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Insurance in Puna?
I priced Geico vs AAA and AAA came in cheaper.
We insure with Geico- they beat all the other companies I've compared rates with. State Farm who we have homeowners insurance with wanted to bundle (with a discount) but couldn't beat Geico. And AAA/Hartford couldn't come close either. On the other hand, I've never had a claim with Geico so I can't vouch for their service, just their prices. I should add that I don't have collision - all we ever drive are beaters.
Another vote for Geico from me. I've only ever had to make one claim, many years ago, but they were excellent. They don't have agents which you may see as a good or bad thing, but it does make things simpler in my opinion. Their online system is also fairly easy to deal with although I haven't tried other companies for comparison.

On the two or three occasions I've purchased or leased a car here they were very helpful about updating insurance in real time over the phone, and it took just a few minutes to receive proof of insurance. Other companies may do that but I was impressed by their quick service.

Tom
I just did a Geico quote online, out of curiosity, and it came out about $150 more than Hartford with my same coverage and deductibles, then about $100 more when I added an organizational discount I could get with Geico but not Hartford. Could it be because I have collision and extra PIP?
I've been a State Farm fan for over 25 years - I like that they KNOW and remember me. When we moved to the island, we got State Farm here, too, for house and cars. First agent didn't call us back, but the 2nd agent we tried, Cary Ichinose in Hilo, and his staff, were quick to call back. We've been happy w/them, tho haven't had any claims yet. Years ago, GEICO dropped me bc I drove a Jeep (they stopped all Jeep coverage at one time w/no warning), and that ruined them for me bc it sent me scrambling for coverage. At the time you could only use them if you were a gov't employee (Goverment Employees Insurance Company), or a relative of a gov't employee. I still hold a grudge 25 years later! State Farm gives you lots of discounts - senior, no incident/safe driver, multi-plan (car & home), loyalty (yup! longer you're with them, you get a discount) etc.
Another vote for The Hartford through AARP. In addition to discounts for AARP membership, they also offer options like defensive driving course credit, driver training credit, etc. to make auto insurance affordable.
Let me ask this question for anyone on here who's in the auto insurance industry. Is there any insurance companies operating in Hawaii that does not use the CCC system? If so, how do their rates compare to those who do use it? I will never use a company who uses CCC.
Mahalo Friends,

After getting many quotes I had to go with Gieco. I think it had to do with my age, lack of bundling with other services, and driving record...one too many speeding tickets.
Tony, Sorry if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you don't live here full time. Alan Oda (Allstate) in Hilo will allow you to suspend your insurance when you are away and reinstate it when you come back. Your bill is pro rated for the time you are away. The price is also about 10% better than Geico and you get personal service from a local company.
Mahalo Mauka,
You are correct, although we hope to change that in the near future. I think I'll be canceling my insurance with Gieco.[Smile]