Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Lava tour out of Kalapana...

I'd like to try this one.
Looks like you could swim from the beach.
What are the currents like there?

Where do you park and where does the trail start?
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
Swimming would be for the VERY experienced only. Treacherous currents heading towards Ka'u with the next place to get out maybe Halape in the national Park. If in doubt, don't go out!
yeah, not very helpful greg. I agree swimming would be only for a very strong swimmer. Got to be able to get back to point A...Otherwise one could find themselves in HOT WATER.
Where does the trail start.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
HI i took the tour leaving from kapalana village cafe it was great i live in honolulu and i will be visiting this weekend with my cousin. can someone post or send me the phone number for the tour?
the trailhead starts across from the kalapana village cafe where the cars are parked in the cul de sac follow to ocean and turn right...walk till you hit the lava entry Smile

Noel

http://noelmorata.blogspot.com/
The number for Kalapana Cultural tours is 936-0456. Speak with Ikaika Marzo or email him Ikaika_marzo@yahoo.com.
They have radio contact to Uncle Robert's for your safety. Also now have ATV for picking up people that can not make it back from the flow
All the guides are well versed, most of them locally raised, can answer most your questions about the flow and the island.

Wyatt

"Yearn to understand first and to be understood second."
-- Beca Lewis Allen
-- Beca Lewis Allen
Here is their website

http://kalapanaculturaltours.com/

Wyatt

-- Beca Lewis Allen
-- Beca Lewis Allen
thanks for that, wyatt.

I would not do the tour without them, simply because it's trespassing. It's not the VNP where one can hike fairly freely. At the very least, I think the sensitive thing to do is ask the family's permission before traipsing over their land.
If you're going to do a tour, this is the group I'd recommend. It's the local families of kalapana that should be benefiting from the lava situation. From what I can gather, they avoid private property by keeping to the new state land formed in 1992. This route can be dangerous to the inexperienced visitor unaware of the distance, dryness and terrain. Go with da local guys!

BTW- Ikaika is the Head Coach of the BIIF Champion and Hawaii State runner up Pahoa High School Volleyball squad.
I heard that they (KLT) have permission to cross the private property, because their ohana owns it -- and that Arnott's was told to leave because they don't. I doubt Arnott's would bag it if there is a route over state land. That said, Greg, you are the one who knows Kalapana. I love the idea of original Kalapana residents getting the money for tours, as you say, they deserve something good from it.