Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Introduction and a charged question...
Welcome Alaskana. I'm a retired 31 year resident of Fairbanks. Worked for UAF. Been retired here for 6 years and loving it. You'd be surprised how many Alaskans have moved down here to retire or work.
A call to a local police station would answer this question. They practice too.

mella l

Art and Science Our Future

bytheseasoap.com
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Mella: honestly, that never even crossed my mind. Thank you Smile I'll call them on Monday.

Macuu: what department were you in? My family worked the physical plant for the last 15 years or so.

I completely spaced the events in Arizona though. Apologies on my poor timing. Considering today it's understandable glen. I have a tendency to get wrapped up in what I'm doing and forget the world. Again, apologies.
Welcome Alaskana, good to see a gun user who comes here and doesn't disparage the local laws. Many of us like them as they are.
Alaskana...Printing Services
Paul: thank you Smile honestly, it's not right to come to someones home and tell them how to do things. It's a different culture (honestly I was getting sick of the "gangsta" crap on the mainland) and I'm loving the difference.

Macuu: lol ok maybe we haven't met then lol. Figured it was worth a shot lol
brought my rifles too - have not had a chance to use them --- looking forward to my next pig visit though.....

Last place I had them for mountain lions - 14 ft long and a couple of hundred pounds of nasty cat out to eat your dog - they took 2 dobermans off the porch - previous owner

Ill take pigs any day

"8 January. (Attacks #12 and 13; death #6) 35-year-old Mark Jeffrey Reynolds, an amateur mountain bike racer, was reported as being killed by a mountain lion sometime after 1:25 p.m. at Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park in southern Orange County. His bicycle was later found with the chain unbroken, but off the sprockets. Jim Amormino, a spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department, speculated that Mark was attacked as he was fixing his bike.

However, the autopsy results apparently show no damage to his neck at all, or any damage indicative of an actual attack that caused his death.

The speculation that fits the facts best is that Mark had a heart attack while riding his bike, fell off his bike, causing the chain to fall off the sprockets. The cougar then simply scavenged him while he was dead on the ground. Unfortunately, as is typically the case for lion feeding, the heart was missing, so we'll never know for sure if he did have a heart attack.

Later the same day, Anne Hjelle, 30, of Santa Ana, a former Marine who works as a fitness instructor, was jumped by the same mountain lion. Anne was attacked a short distance down the trail from Mark's body, which was not visible to her, while she was riding her mountain bicycle. The lion jumped her from a slight rise (~4 feet) on the right hand side of the trail, from under some high brush. The lion quickly had Anne's face in its mouth, despite the presence of Anne's helmet. Her riding companion, Debi Nicholls, was about 30 feet behind Anne and witnessed the attack. Debi threw her bike at the mountain lion, to no avail, then grabbed Anne's legs and screamed as the lion dragged both of them 30 feet down the slope into the brush. The lion kept attacking Anne, alternating between her helmet, face and neck. The screams brought Nils Magnuson, 33, of Long Beach, and Mike Castellano to the scene, who called 911 and scared off the mountain lion by throwing rocks at it.

Anne was airlifted to Mission Hospital. Her condition was initially critical, was upgraded from serious as of early 9 January, and to fair as of 10 January.

Nils was nearby since he had just found Mark's bicycle, and was about to look for Mark. (Mountain bikers crash fairly frequently, so finding a crashed bicycle is not an unusual occurrence. It is customary to stop and render aid to crashees.) After this attack, Mark's body was found dead higher on the trail than where Anne was attacked. Mark had apparently been dead for some hours, and his body had been half-eaten and partially buried, typical of a mountain lion kill.

Later that night, Sheriff's deputies shot and killed a healthy 3- to 4-year-old, 110-122 pound male lion, which was spotted 50 yards from the man's body. Initial tests found human skin tissue, and portions of a human lung and liver in the lion's stomach, which were confirmed later to match Mark's DNA. No fibers from Anne's clothing, nor any slivers from her helmet, were found in the initial examination, but later DNA tests matched Anne to the blood on one of the lion's claws. Curiously, no deer hairball was found in the lion."

muntain lions 1 bullwinkle 1 - I have the pelt
Go to a hunting area on a hunting day with a hunting license and you can do it. other wise you may get busted.

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
one round - and ham for all my buddies - grin
gunshots not uncommon and accepted it seems in my neck of the woods

thanks for the heads up

back to the original poster .... despite the strict gun laws - many of my local friends are avid hunters - some traveling to the other islands to hunt game not found here every year like clockwork. i think you will have a lot less grief getting a rifle on Hawaiian, then lets say southwest airlines.

many of my neighbors hunt pig as a big part of their lifestyle, my pin finder took a crossbow in with him....... get paid to hunt? not a bad gig

on the other hand - an e z rider rifle rack most likely not a good idea

welcome