Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puu Oo woke up again this AM
There currently are steady streams of lava pouring out of two vent holes well up on the side of the crater. To get a sense of scale, the "thing with the eyes" in the center of the crater is between 20 and 25 feet tall. The shiny lava you see when looking at the webcam during the day is new lava.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Ah.....didn't there used to be (a few days ago) more to the low wall on the right of the web image of Puu Oo? Looks to me like more of it collapsed. I can see straight through to horizon, don't remember that.

Looks like lava might be leaving the crater before too long. New flows downslope.

Magma chambers are swelling:

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/deformation.html
Not collapsed, covered. That was one of the markers I've been using to measure the rise in lava level.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by dugger

Deb, you can contact a bud of mine, Bo Lozoff. I don't want to give out his e mail here but you can find him easily on Google. He lives in Kalapana, knows the area well, and gives regular walking tours of the lava. His website also has some great videos.

Thanks dugger. I did google him. will contact him.
hawaiideborah
Great view tonight! Looks like a giant slug.
Peace and long life
Has anyone else noticed the flare up on the east (left) side of the wall? Two days ago it was a spot, now it looks more cinder cone & flare up...
Just got home and was checking the webcams at Jagger, Helema'uma'u overlook, and Pu'u O'o. I didn't see any glow coming from Helema'uma'u. The level in the pit looks like it has dropped several feet, and the level of activity at Pu'u O'o looks darker/quieter. Just my timing to look at the images or has things started to slow down a bit?

Royall

Royall, we were at Jagger tonight from 7 to 8, and it was absolutely amazing. Not only was Halema'uma'u glowing fairly brightly, but the full moon was lighting up the steam vents causing them to glow white. The glow from the pit would brighten and dim in about a five minute cycle. Quite a few European tourists were there, and I got to be a tour guide in German for a while. We took a picnic supper and had a wonderful evening.
Yeoooow, check it out tonight!! It was on the news tonight.
Sat. Mar 5 at 3:12 PM- Something big going on right now, the floor of Pu'u O'o is almost a complete molten mass, the floor seems to be breaking up.