Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blogs vs forums
@csgray - Thanks for the info. I didn't know the difference and now I do. Some forget that not everyone knows all the lingo. I like the constructive way you chose to deal with your annoyance. Hats off to you!

@Chuysmom - Along the same lines...What does LMAO mean?
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
Laughing My Ass Off[:I]
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
OOOOOOOH, thanks. I'll use that one often[Big Grin]
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
Thanks for the explanation, Carol.

I usually figure that someone doesn't know the lingo when he/she calls a forum a blog. (Haven't seen it the other way around.)

It matters to me, because the word forum is an ancient one and to me it represents a place where the community has a voice.

A blog is a place for an individual to find a voice and often to get feedback. But that is not to say that a blog can't further community.

Tiffany's blog does create a community, because a lot of people discuss her articles and interact with each other.

The difference is that in a forum, any registered user can begin a topic, but in a blog, only the blogger starts a topic. So the blogger shapes the overall content in a very hands on way.

However, many forums have strict rules about what type of content can be in which forum.

Forums typically allow a post or topic to go up without pre-screening; then the moderator removes what is against guidelines.
Blogs can either have comment moderation on or off. If it on, the comments won't be posted until the blogger has a chance to screen them, and some may not get posted.

Another difference is that most forums need to attract a decent sized membership or they have very little content and die off.

A blog can live on by itself if the creator comes up with a lot of posts. A blog can be a photojournal, an online diary, a place to post recipes; it is a form of self-publishing special interests at one end of the spectrum, or it can be journalistic, like The Big Island Chronicle.

Before we had "forums," we had bulletin boards and then message boards. When I first used the "net" and was told to check out a bulletin board, it was more like someone would post an item or an announcement. Then people might reply and start a discussion, but not always.

Some of them really were ways to get messages to other people, back when everyone wasn't emailing and linking to articles.

I'm sure I didn't see all there was to see back in the 90's. The one I belonged to was a "list-serve" for academics working on James Joyce, and they would post calls for papers, and items on stuff they had discovered. For me that was the beginning of something like a forum.
-----
Words that bother me -- yes on all the examples. By bother I mean I notice them, not that I get bent out of shape.

One that comes to mind is so many quite literate people now say "loose" when they mean "lose." The two words don't have the same meaning or derivation.

Another one is "lightning" and "lightening." The flashes in the sky are not lightening. Streaking your hair is lightening. [Wink]

A big one on travel forums is "sites" and "sights."
It is common now to say "site seeing." While it's kinda sorta what you might be doing, the phrase is "sightseeing."

I read these all the time and I always let it go, but in a topic like this, it is fun to vent. [Smile]

@Carol and Kathy,

It all brings out the old English teacher in me! I remember as a young college student having my mother return my letters with my grammer corrected. She was raised and educated in Canada, and the Kings English was the proper thing... However, here in Hawai'i, the importance of knowing the local lingo, but yet still writing in proper style is important, but a difficult task for many students. When I worked at Maui Memorial Hospital in IT, the young guys spoke a variety of tech pidgin that took awhile to get used to!

Thanks, folks, for a very good thread!

Jane
Jane, my mother never did that, but my father still does correct my English when I do something too brutal to it, even in email.

I love listening to pidgin and am glad it's alive and well, but sad for young people if that's all they can speak, as some doors will be closed to them.

One "bad" thing I do all the time writing on the net is commit the sin of comma splice. I find it very liberating to relax the punctuation rules. [Wink] I don't preview posts and fix the typos either. [:0]
Tech pidgin, I love it!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Oink,
quote:
How is that revelant to anything a blogger posts on this forum? Isn't it there wright to post anything they want irregardless weather you like it or not.
How could you write that and still get the apostrophe correct in "isn't"? I think you have a deep-seated issue likely involving abuse from a childhood experience at school. I mean, come on, you even put a question mark after a question. Something isn't right here (although I noticed you missed the question mark second-time around).

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Sorry Sad

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
whalesong, So calling people names enhances the dialogue in what manner?

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator