Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wal-Mart Super Center In Hilo
quote:
We've boycotted Wal-Mart for years. Cheap prices at what cost? You'll be singing a different tune when the mom and pop shop they put out of business is your mom and pop.

The mom & pop shops were selling a 12-pack of Coke for $6.00 when I moved here in 1991. Factoring in just a minimal 4% annual inflation the adjusted price would be $9.76 at Mom & Pop now! You can buy the same 12-pack for $3.50 at the stores now. Mom & Pop screwed us for a long time so screw them! It's a free enterprise, the business is either competitive or go out of business. Oh! Yes, these are the Mom & Pop operations that hire only part time workers for minimum wage so they won't have to pay benefits either.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185

Edited by - John S. Rabi on 03/09/2007 08:26:08

Edited by - John S. Rabi on 03/09/2007 13:54:48
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

I have to admit that almost everything I buy comes from Walmart. Sometimes their prices are not always the lowest.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal02.txt

A Wal-Mart official confirmed Thursday that the company wants to open a Supercenter behind its existing store in Hilo.

Now the only other question is will the old walmart become a new sams club?

Costco, the main competitor of Sam's Club, has a store in West Hawaii and has shown interest in building in Hilo. Asked specifically if there are plans for a Sam's Club in the existing Wal-Mart store, Loscotoff said nothing is concrete at the moment.

"We haven't decided at this point in the process," he wrote.

Even Costco wants to know ... I wonder why Costco would be interested to know if a sams club moves here?

A Supercenter will be a good thing overall. Those who don't want to shop there don't have to. Grocery prices here are higher than they have to be, and WalMart will put an end to price gouging. For those of you who are indignant about WalMart's policies, just remember, places like KTA and Safeway don't treat their employees much better, if at all.

People can rant and rave all they want about mom and pop operations going down (KTA is by no means one of those) all they want, but how useful is it to preserve a few higher paid persons or entities when every single other person on this island pays too much for something as basic as food?

Welcome to the real world of ecomomic competition and free markets. You'll get used to it and even learn to like it.

Haole Girl, as far as I understand, the Hilo DHHL lands which Prince Kuhio, Kanoelehua
Industrial area sit garner the most lease
income for DHHL in the entire state. This money is supposedly used to build infrastructure on other DHHL lands.

Edited by - Aaron S on 03/09/2007 16:13:26
ericlp , the reason why Costco would be interested if a Sams Club opens in Hilo is
because it will be a factor if Costco decides
to build in Hilo also.

Bear in mind, Costco was exploring the possibility of leasing this same parcel Wal-Mart is finalizing the lease for.

quote:
If mom and pop stores provide a valuable service to their community and are hip to changing why would they be forced out? If WalMart is so bad people would stop shopping there.

All time on the top is limited, just look at Microsofts struggles now with Linux and Goggle and other designs. Its only a matter of time until they change or are dethroned. Same with Walmart.

Haoleboy, why would you want to be Hawaiian? Just so the DHHL could rate you on your blood levels of purity. I think the Nazis did that too, some people got all yellow stars, others red and yellow stars, still others just got a single triangle. If DHHL was concerned about people they would just release the land each person getting an equal share, but the DHHL thinks it needs to care for the poor Hawaiians (who can t make good decisions) and screw them over again and again. How much land has been sold away and how much money has been gained and put to no use, just so the council remains in control and people beg at their feet.

Maybe I just want to be a "Hawaiiness" broker.

"When you become senile, you won't know it."-Bill Cosby
“Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good.”
- Henry Rollins

quote:
Haole Girl, as far as I understand, the Hilo DHHL lands which Prince Kuhio, Kanoelehua
Industrial area sit garner the most lease
income for DHHL in the entire state. This money is supposedly used to build infrastructure on other DHHL lands.

Edited by - Aaron S on 03/09/2007 16:13:26

Thanks, Aaron for responding to me. I've actually looked into the revenues and that's not true about them receiving the most revenues from that land. They receive more revenue on the DHHL land that Hilo Airport was illegally built on.

Another of my concern is that they were very quick to build the one they have now without the consent of the title holders.

I have no problem with capitalism though there is a problem with consent of the property owners.

Y.W.N.

Edited by - Haole Girl on 03/10/2007 15:54:41
Y.W.N.
quote:
Walmart.

Haoleboy, why would you want to be Hawaiian? Just so the DHHL could rate you on your blood levels of purity. I think the Nazis did that too, some people got all yellow stars, others red and yellow stars, still others just got a single triangle. If DHHL was concerned about people they would just release the land each person getting an equal share, but the DHHL thinks it needs to care for the poor Hawaiians (who can t make good decisions) and screw them over again and again. How much land has been sold away and how much money has been gained and put to no use, just so the council remains in control and people beg at their feet.

It's comments like these that show racism against Hawaiians as exhibited by ignorance about OHA and DHHL as it relates to land and/or title.

They hold title in trust for us. It's in the State of Hawai'i Constitution.

"the Office of Hawaiian Affairs shall hold title to all the real and personal property now or hereafter set aside or conveyed to it which shall be held in trust for native Hawaiians and Hawaiians."

http://www.state.hi.us/lrb/con/conart12.html

Y.W.N.

Edited by - Haole Girl on 03/10/2007 16:03:14
Y.W.N.
Haole Girl, care to cite your sources ?
As far as I've read in the past, the
Kanoelehua Industrial Area, Puainako Commercial
district garners the most commercial lease
revenue for DHHL statewide.

This revenue is used to build infrastructure on other DHHL lands.

http://hawaii.gov/dhhl/publications/annu...Report.pdf

Big Island -76 commercial leases 3.7 million
Oahu -30 commercial leases 2.4 million