Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mexican restaurant opening soon in downtown Hilo?
Casa de Luna has changed names & menus - owner Dave has handed over the reigns to sisters Trish & Pam & brother Scott

It is now "Pineapples" and will be serving island themed foods (local & fresh produce & fish) with generous portions...in that beautiful open air cafe setting
Emma's is no longer a restaurant, but they still make tortillas in back.

Lucy's is my current favorite; they even have lengua, and serve horchata.
As a member in good standing of the weekly Hamakua Happy Hour Hui, we had given up on Casa de Luna as being too pricey, but will have to give the new iteration a chance.
Current favorite is Lucy's, best value, good food and good drinks. Pond's is likely best atmosphere with good menu and drinks. Coconut Grill is still in the mix, Happy Hour menu and prices. Cronies fell out last years as not good value (5 nachos for $12) and anemic drinks.

David
Ninole Resident
David, we also like Lucy's...it's always hopping and the food is awesome for a great price. I don't drink anymore but there was no lack of patrons! Smile

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.septemberspirals.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
A new owner has taken on the place that was Emma's. We have not tried it yet.
Ok,

We went to Pineapples tonight (the new menu started this week), both had freshcatch, I had the sandwich with sweet potato fries, very good, nice portion, Jim had the dinner...very tasty with artful presentation...smaller portion than Jim would like (ie, for a NORMAL human, fine...but he coulda eaten 2X the serving...)
Menu Link:
http://www.pineappleshilo.com/menu/

Also went to the old Emmas this week, it is now a Hawaiinan Plate lunch place ($8 for a plate), but at 1:30, they were out of food...so I am assuming good...

wow... 5.50 for sweet potato frys! That place isn't for the poor. Not like I'm poor but I'll pass on this place.
Well, I was looking forward to checking it out. After reading the menu, hmmm might wait to see what replaces them, just really doubt their food it that much better than more reasonably priced places. Too bad Sad

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
I only ate there once. Service was awful. Many things on the menu were "out" and my enchiladas were way too spiced for something that came with no "spicy" warning. Not gonna miss it. Peggy

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
If you want to try Pineapples, I suggest you do it fast, because based on our experience tonight, I don't think it'll be around long. Food is just okay and not worth the price. Service was abysmal. We arrived at 4:45 for dinner and were seated immediately. Waited 10 minutes for a waiter to take our drink and dinner order and another five for our drinks to arrive. Iced tea tasted like instant. In the ensuing 25 minutes two other tables were seated and eventually served, while we continued to wait. Not even a bread stick to nibble on... A little after 5:30, a waitress brought two dishes to a table near us - one was an incorrect order, which was taken back, so all three started munching on one diner's fish and chips while waiting for the rest of their meals. Ten minutes later, another waitress came out to their table with a single dish, but rather than putting that dish down, she picked up the fish and chips and delivered both dishes to our table. When my partner asked if that was the plate from the other table, she said yes, but that it was still hot and okay. He replied "They were all eating from it," which the other table quickly confirmed. She left the fresh plate in front of my partner and told me she'd be back with a new fish and chips for me...which arrived a little over an hour after we arrived at the restaurant. Since we had tickets for a movie (that we had allowed, what we thought, was plenty of time for), I had to gobble down my dinner as our waitress asked "Are you enjoying your meal"? Uh, no... And trust me, we won't be back anytime soon.