Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
A Hawaiian is someone who has ancestral ties prior to western contact. There's nothing racist about knowing and practicing your culture.

http://youtu.be/AH1pV4IElN4

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
ancestral ties prior to western contact ... nothing racist about knowing and practicing your culture.

So "haole go back to the mainland" isn't racist, just practicing your culture?

How wonderful, this brotherhood of man.
The Thirty Meter Telescope has legally binding entitlements to construct their facility. Yes, there is ongoing appeals of those entitlements. However, they're still binding until the Courts say otherwise. This leads me to the point I was trying to make, what is the end game after 30 days?

http://bigislandnow.com/2015/04/06/lette...dstanding/

"OHA Trustee Peter Apo called for a 30-day construction moratorium to be imposed on Mauna Kea. I’m curious what is the endgame after the 30-day construction moratorium expires. The anti-astronomy groups don’t want the Thirty Meter Telescope built on Mauna Kea –even though UH, TMT, and DLNR have bent over backwards to appease their concerns."
Not every haole gets told that, there's also, " ey haole boy, come over my house drink and eat. You are ohana. Again, all about attitude. One day you'll get it kala, if you last long enough here. Wink

I've been told both things at different times and circumstances; it's really fine either way.
Originally posted by Southernmost
A Hawaiian is someone who has ancestral ties prior to western contact. There's nothing racist about knowing and practicing your culture.

Depends on the culture - plenty of racist stereotypes and reasoning embedded in cultures all over the world. Making generalized statements regarding people if they are Hawaiian or non-Hawaiian/outsider/foreigner/haole is racist. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion or to voice their objection - it is a free country (?)

As for the TMT, the conflicts between the religious and scientific issues for the project are probably unresolvable - the core values are just too different. Ultimately, the process is not really about either, but rather another example of the main issue for most conflicts - land and power. Given Hawaii's history from the Kingdom restoration, speculative subdivisions, statehood vote, 1893 coup, Kamehameha unification, Pili & Pa'ao takeover, etc... this is not new nor should be surprising.
Trying to understand the arguments and beliefs of those against the telescopes...

If the ancient Hawaiians had a basalt mine and produced tools for use and trade near the top of the mountain, and the mountain gods have connection to the heavens, why specifically is this telescope a violation of the sacredness of the mountain? And who gets to make that call for all believers? And what about Hawaiians that have converted to Christianity, are their beliefs and culture discounted?

Come down to Airport road right now for some inspired, chicken skin, energy with friends and ohana !

aloha,
pog
The Thirty Meter Telescope will truck all waste generated from this telescope off the mountain, so there won't be any impact to the aquifer underneath Mauna Kea.

The TMT will be last new telescope constructed on Mauna Kea. The current Mauna Kea Science Reserve master lease expires in 2033. If the University of Hawaii is able to obtain a new 65 year lease, future telescopes will recycle existing facilities and footprint. In addition, all existing telescopes will have pay higher lease rent when they seek lease extensions.

If a new master lease is not obtained, all the existing telescopes will be facing decommissioning in between 2025-2033.

Canada's Prime Minister has announced Canada's financial support for the TMT.

http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2015/04/06/...-telescope
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

No more building permits? Where does it end?

As I have pointed out.. repeatedly.. that would be a good beginning. The end? When the question of Hawaiian sovereignty is addressed, and answered.

I can only imagine how todays Kanakas feel about their past. It must suck looking back and wishing that your people would have stood firm against the corporate takeover of their land. I would be pissed knowing that big money backed by military might basically took over my homeland and my ancestors did not fight back. But that fight is over. Welcome to present day. Time to move forward not back.