Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will you do if/when Ebola gets here?
Dallas Evening Journal Ebola news round-up: travelers from West Africa being monitored for 21 days, Johnson & Johnson working on vaccine, Rwanda screening American travelers, China evacuating workers from West Africa, Nurse Nina Pham's dog Bentley tests negative for ebola.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/news-wire/2014/10/22/ebola-news-roundup-cdc-issues-new-rules-j-j-preps.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2014-10-22&u=WjBtJe8ZRO+iQWLkXeoflw085ebe9a&t=1414028344
Here's a little more info on how rivals Johnson & Johnson and GlaxoSmithKline are working together to get the vaccine in the field:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/2...FV20141022

J&J’s vaccine proved safe and protective against the virus during testing in monkeys, which J&J Chief Scientific Officer Paul Stoffels said was normally a strong sign that the regimen would work in humans.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/johnson-johnson-to-begin-testing-ebola-vaccine-in-january-2014-10-22-91031441?mod=MethodeStories&link=sfmw
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
With regard to why Duncan's family didn't get it, the nurses did, and whether it is somehow more contagious in the final stages of the disease, it is my impression that the projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea both started after he entered the hospital. Under those conditions, yes, it IS "airborne" after a fashion and yes, the nurses were much more likely to be infected than the family. One of the interesting facets of the disease is that children are somewhat less likely to get it because they are less likely to be the ones providing direct care. The kids actually live in the house with the infected adult and often don't get it while those removing the soiled bedding and dead bodies do come in direct contact with infectious fluids and do get infected.
A doctor from Doctors Without Borders has tested positive in NYC after returning from work with Ebola patients in West Africa.
Story here:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/23/health/new-york-possible-ebola-case/index.html?c=&page=0

My best wishes for this humanitarian who put himself at risk to treat others.

Kathy

Edit - I haven't been looking for such things, but I heard people talking about in the store in Hilo, so I looked it up with my phone.

Thanks for posting Kathy. Interesting information, leaves more questions for me though...

Best wishes
Best wishes
Sure thing.
I don't know what to think of this one.
With enough of our brave health care workers catching it, I wonder if it wouldn't be wise to have a waiting period between leaving WA and entering the country, just long enough to be sure no infection.

I'm sure this doctor had no desire to expose others.
They deserve a nice spa week or something. Seriously, our government throws money at so much junk, why couldn't they have a NICE R&R type place for people as an interim after volunteering to care for Ebola patients.

Kathy
Measles is a bigger threat than Ebola, especially here in Hawaii. Maui to be exact. But no one is tripping over that. It's just fear mongering to get people riled up unnecessarily.

I had the measles as a kid. I had a funky week. My vital organs pulled through without permanent damage, and the cool part was I didn't die, not even close.

When I was a kid, there was no vaccine against measles, and nearly every kid got it. It was not a plague. I lived through getting mumps, measles, chickenpox.

Polio and diphtheria, those were important to battle.

Kathy
Children can and do die from those diseases you survived. I don't quite get your point.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
In the early 1900's about 8000 people a year died on average from measles.
In the 1950's it was about 450 a year.
Not everyone pulled through, and some that did were left with organ damage.

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves