Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Court remands TMT sublease
In the "local" paper too:

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...gs-officer

I can hardly wait to see the next round of objections; it's pretty clear the "protectors" simply cannot be satisfied, and that the process is always "flawed" when things aren't going their way.

Commenting on the placement of rocks in the downhill lane, in the middle of a sharp right hand corner on Mauna Kea Road:

Kalani Flores, a cultural practitioner who does not support TMT, added his thoughts... “As with with everything in life,” Flores concluded, “everyone is accountable for their own actions."

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
everyone is accountable for their own actions.

Obviously that includes the environmental impact from last year's Protector Camp, which did not include the wastewater system required when a structure is used for habitation?

That kind of "accountable"?
That kind of "accountable"?

I'm not the leader or member of a group who may organize it's members, or approve their actions based on my participation, for instance, rock rolling in a public roadway or long term habitation by dozens and dozens of people in a small area with no system in place for acceptable waste disposal. Nor am I a judge who can determine the gray areas of accountability according to the law, or a priest or spiritual leader who recognizes it's moral implications, but having said that, yes, I think it's that kind of accountable.

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
yes, I think it's that kind of accountable

Perhaps "should be" is more accurate; what we seem to have is

- people desecrating the land and the law in the name of protecting sacredness
- a legal system which refuses to prosecute them because the desecration is sacred

I'm reminded of the famous quote: "It's just a bunch of people doing whatever they want." -- while this was originally applied to Puna, it seems to be the general state of the Big Island.

Put another way, "permits are for suckers."
This quote (from the HTH version) really says it all:

"They started the process wrong,"” he said. "They call it delays -- we want to call it following the law."

Hypocrisy -- "following the law" is important (when it suits the purpose at hand), while "ignoring the law" (illegal camping, blocking the road) is equally valid (again, when it suits the purpose at hand).

People are always asking what was before the beginning. In the case of TMT, they are going to find out with UH objecting to the hearings officer. That will take a few more months for the next one, and that one will probably be objected by the "protectors". UH was trying to bluff strength in the beginning but they went down like Sampson on Delilah. This is going to snowball into a challenge of what right does UH have on the top of the whole mountain at all. It's hilarious because the State bestowed that right of stewardship and they are staying quiet back in Ige's sound proof safe room, so they can work without distracting outside noise from the "outer islands".

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Judge Amano is a very good choice to handle this matter. Her non-disclosure of the Imiloa membership (which means nothing), and now, her non-disclosure of being a mediator in a case the UH is involved in, is miniscule in comparison to the challenge at hand. Such a damn shame. Amano is a fair, reasonable, "take no crap" from anyone, kind of judge. Dakine may be right, given the UH's latest move. Auwe!

Pahoated, you hit the nail on the head. LOL at the Samson and Delilah reference. Oh, and Ige isn't "in his sound proof safe room", he was at Sig Zane's here in Hilo having lunch the other day discussing Mauna Kea (yea, in the back room, but not soundproof...lol).

Given the Supreme Court ruling, amongst other challenges the UH/State of Hawai'i (and now, TMT) faces, my focus now is on the master lease agreement, and the upcoming negotiations.

The PUEO group are good people. Very good people. Both sides have valid arguments given the lack of lawful "due diligence" on the damn State of Hawaii's part, (BLNR, DLNR, UH, OHA, etc.). Yes, seven (7) years of trying to finagle the law again, results in this kind of political posturing. Sadly, pitting Hawaiians against Hawaiians seems to be the never ending modus operandi.

The continued accusations towards the "protectors/protestors" (which are not all accurate in my view) is counterproductive. If all sides would just listen to each other, and find common ground.

Both sides are going to drag this damn thing out, without sound direction (except from the lawyers and "game players"), which will result in a loss for all of us, in the big picture.

Again, this is not only about TMT. It is far more, much of which entails valid concerns for the future. Hell, the State auditor's reports speaks volumes! Management? Please. [Sad!]

The damn State screwed this up royally, and we all are going to end up paying the tab, again. Sad state of affairs. SMH.

JMO.

Sorry, Opihikao, I always find your posts respectful, intelligent and fair, but:

"Dakine may be right, given the UH's latest move. Auwe!"

Do you seriously think the UHH and TMT are trying to get another judge to take over because they would be easier to bribe?
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Sorry, Opihikao, I always find your posts respectful, intelligent and fair, but:

"Dakine may be right, given the UH's latest move. Auwe!"

Do you seriously think the UHH and TMT are trying to get another judge to take over because they would be easier to bribe?

Aloha, Mr. Tom. Oh, no, Sir. "Bribe" is not even on the radar with my statement. I meant dakine's assessment was quite true. The UH, in my view, is possibly concerned with her potential decision making process, given her integrity and honor (much like the Supreme Court, who took them all to task). She is no slouch. Removing the "bribe" word from the discussion (dakine stated "wink and nod", not "bribe", for the record), and all I'm stating is the UH knows she is not going to just "fall in line". UH (allegedly) did not want the hearing moved to our island; she did.

Again, Sir, respectfully, JMO. My aloha to Pam, please.

ETA: The UH should be really pissed off with Suzanne Case, who chose Amano, knowing she is a good choice. Case (again, allegedly per documents filed) circumvented the proper protocol in choosing Amano. Talk about a hot mess! SMH.