Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
COVID-19 confirmed in Hawaii: 607+ cases 16 deaths
A colleague of mine had an uncle die of COVID. He had a heart attack and while recovering in the hospital caught COVID. The COVID caused massive clotting that blocked arteries and his arms and legs started to get gangrene and he lost his mental faculties due to strokes. Because she was the next of kin she had the burden of directing his medical care. The doctors said his only hope for survival was to amputate his arms and legs and they couldn't guarantee he would ever wake up or come out of a vegetative state. He passed away while she was en route from HNL to Dallas so she didn't actually have to direct any medical decisions.

Before hearing her story I didn't know that amputation is one of the risks of surviving the disease. There aren't a lot of stories about it other than a broadway actor who lost a leg and gets the headlines.
(07-16-2020, 06:39 PM)Chas Wrote: Hah! You think it's bad here? It's GOOD here!

A friend that lives on the East Coast says that it's just like it never happened. NO ONE wears masks or social distances, despite the governor's order.

It's all "a hoax".

Just to be clear, the people my friend has to endure think it's a hoax, not us. My friend is hunkered down, and rarely leaves the house because of the total disregard for science or reality. No, it doesn't make sense... and neither do they.
Saturday night, August 1st:

Lt. Gov. Green on a newscast tonight:
“If we continue on this trajectory, 100 cases and so on, that will necessitate a statewide shut down again to stop the virus, and that’s not something we want to do, so please be careful.”
The current infection rate on Oahu is much larger than it was when the state first locked down. Just thought I'd point that out.
What TomK says is certainly correct. Thanks to our geographic isolation, we have come through this so far with a very low infection rate compared to other states. That may be blown out the window, however, by carelessness and a premature return to old habits. The economic catastrophe is only beginning, and with the Federal boost to unemployment payments ending, pressure will build to reopen the tourist industry. Josh Green has been very direct in describing the need to control the virus. The spineless governor and the state bureaucracy, not so much. They have had several months to beef up contact tracing, but haven't done it adequately. And the governor vetoed a state supplement to unemployment while letting state employee raises remain in the budget. Fasten your seat belts, folks.
I want to hear what the flu death count has been for every month this year. Hawaii has averaged right at 20 deaths per month from flu, for years as the season here is year-round. CDC has the details if you want to look it up.
I want to hear what the flu death count has been for every month this year. 

You can argue that people die of stuff anyway, so what’s a few more deaths from COVID 19 added into the total body count.

Or, you can look at what other governments have done to minimize the number of cases and deaths, like South Korea which had a low fatality rate and no shutdown to speak of, and recognize that with the right protocols in place a high death toll is preventable.  
look at what other governments have done to minimize the number of cases and deaths
Easier than that: change the requirements so that the numbers are underreported:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/08/0...ncomplete/

“We are missing electronic laboratory reporting data from one of the private clinical laboratories, from July 31 to today,” State Epidemiologist Dr. Sarah Park said in a news release. “This is likely a result of recent modifications in data reporting required by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. We have advised the affected laboratory to provide manual reporting of data until they’re able to correct the reporting issues. This is impacting our ability to quickly identify and investigate new persons with COVID-19 and to contact trace.”
(08-02-2020, 10:15 PM)leilanidude Wrote: I want to hear what the flu death count has been for every month this year. Hawaii has averaged right at 20 deaths per month from flu, for years as the season here is year-round. CDC has the details if you want to look it up.

34,200 US flu deaths in 2018, over a year that's about 2,850 per month.
157,000 US covid deaths since January, averaging 22,400 per month.
207 new cases statewide reported today.
Effective immediately, maximum group size on Oahu is 10 people.
Over on Maui, Baldwin Beach is packing them and partying all night long:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/08/01...h-parties/