Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potable water locations in Puna: where are they?
I always wonder when I see this discussion back up. We started building in '05, in Leilani, and put in two filters plus a UV system. We have not noticed any taste or smell issues with the water and have been drinking it for several years. I also put in similar systems for a few friends who drink catchment with no problems.
It cost a few hundred to install, and then you need a new UV bulb every year and new filters every couple of months so maybe $150.00 a year. The UV light is on 24/7 so there is some power usage but it's all good water for showers as well as drinking and no going to haul drinking water. We are from the west edge of the mainland where people have fought over fresh water for generations because there just isn't enough to keep up with growth so we enjoy this abundance. (although we heard it only rained at night here and it's supposed to be sunny right now!)
There could certainly be a financial reason not to treat your own water but there should not be a quality concern reason.

Jay
Jay
Some use hoses to fill really big containers, others use a hose so they don't have to remove the containers from the back of their vehicle, and sometimes, esp. at the older stations, ya just don't wanna set your drinking water container down on the ground (

but always remember to use a drinking water safe hose, and make sure you dry it & keep it free of critters while it is stores, throwing in the trunk or the back of the pickup for the next time you need it could breed a swamp of living things in the nooks & crannies of the hose!
Makes me wonder why I'm still alive. I used to drink water from the hose all the time. I quit doing it when I got a mouth full of ants that had made their home in the hose...
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Ah, 8 fingers, protein drink - free no less! I didn't see any mention of the old water station Mauka side of highway, Hilo side of Shower Dr. It's pretty funky, but better than trying to cross traffic if you're heading towards Pahoa at rush hour. Also, those new spigots at Keaau dump are backup valves. They are different from the regular faucet. Someone told me it prevents dirty water from someone's tank from backflowing into the faucet. Well, that's a health hazard I never even thought of. I always flush full blast water through my 6' hose before filling my containers. I let my containers sit w/ tops off on my counter for 24 hours & most of the chlorine dissipates. Then it goes through a Britta. When I lived in Naalehu, I always got Waiohinu water, it comes from Haao spring - it's the best on the island.