Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Geothermal Energy Hawaii - pros vs. cons

Again, the Troll in you just can't stop!

I don't live near it. I am not personally affected by it.

But I see the damage it has done and will continue to do.

Hydrogen Sulfide. Good point about toxic off gassing. Let's see here, when it comes to geothermal activity, what areas of the Big Island are most active? Are you aware that Hydrogen Sulfide is also a natural off gassing toxin in and around geo thermal hot spots? So, if one is truly concerned about Hydrogen Sulfide off gassing, why would they want to live in one of the regions with higher levels of natural Hydrogen Sulfide off gassing? I don't live on that side of the rift but have smelled heavy concentrations of Hydrogen Sulfide, right here where I live from time to time and those gas pockets did not come from the power plant. They came from nearby cracks in the ground. If anyone were to be in the wrong situation at the wrong time, they could conceivably die from natural off gassing.

Who's to say that some people haven't already been effected by these natural occurrences? If you decide to live on a geothermal hotspot, where is the reasonable risk line drawn? If you decide to live in such an area do you have a credible concern with regard to geothermal energy production and such off gassing? Are you certain? If you truly think you do, then you should move away from such naturally occurring events also.

Here's a quote from the CDC concerning this matter. "Ambient air concentrations of hydrogen sulfide in residential areas near the PGV are typically less than 1 ppb. These levels are similar to naturally-occurring, background levels (0.11 to0.33 ppb) that have been detected in ambient air at other locations [3]. There is no toxicological evidence that chronic exposure to these levels of hydrogen sulfide would have an adverse impact on public health."

It's nice to drum up a scare from a couple past accidental events but how many people in that region or about this island have ended up in the same scenario and in the Hospital from naturally occurring off gassing situations? Please don't assume no-one has, it's a slight risk all of us take living in this area, that's fact.

- Armed citizens provide security of a free State.
My point from the above is this. If you weren't previously aware that Hydrogen Sulfide off gassing is a naturally occurring aspect in this area. Now you are. So if you're feeling such symptoms and are not near the plant, you may have a vent that's off gassing near your home. You might even be near the plant and the off gassing may be coming from a nearby natural vent. Some might say that's drumming up a phony scare. Is it a phony scare and if so what would it imply about such similar scares drudged up by geo thermal energy production arguments?

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/hac/pha/pha.asp?docid=1036&pg=0

So lets be reasonable and add to the cons list - CON - added Hydrogen Sulfide off gassing in an already naturally occurring region.
Lets also keep in mind that the other toxins are the same as those that are already naturally occurring in the region.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-15/n...al-venture

one ..... first return on the (re) search

hydrogen sulfide also a problem in landfills and when vegetation trapped in pockets. Because it is heavier and can pool in low spots - the mitigation involves tall exhaust stacks.

Just more of the old dilution is the solution - see fukashima and pacific ocean .... like I said two years ago - glow in the dark ahi a free bonus.....
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

The RFP for the next 50MW plant is going to be announced in September. It is ultimately up to Hawiian Electric how they will implement the RFP, just one new plant on the west side, or possibly another new plant in Pohoiki in addition. It is sounding more like the possibility this may be happening. This has all been approved and gone through all the studies and evaluations, the county lost home rule of geothermal permits last legislative session, and all authority has been transferred to BLNR. If you are anti-geothermal, stop being a PITA with your misdirection and direct your rage to PUC and BLNR. Raging on HELCO is so stupid and such a waste of time.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"

AMEN!

Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
in case you missed it - http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-15/n...al-venture

so who went to work today - or did we all buy heco stock - grin

orphans and widows venture - 5% annual return utilities on a cost plus model...

The off island gatekeepers have decided this will benefit Puna or Oahu? ... all at cost plus not a bad investment imho - even if it isnt socially responsible

just getting into season three of throne.... they have very neat dragons - lots of h2so04 in dragon exhaust it seems ...... may be up late - grin

over and out.....

Bullwinkle I can appreciate your concern about molecular poisons and radioactive isotopes.

I would like to point out that a molecular poison such as Hydrogen Sulfide are not comparable in regard to general concentration build ups released into the environment to that of radioactive isotopes.

Hydrogen Sulfide is subject to the chemical reactions it will encounter upon release into the environment and therefore succumb to disassociation or become a building block in a larger molecule. Hydrogen Sulfide has been created and released into the environment since the dawn of the earths existence. Hydrogen Sulfide is also produced and used within your body as a signaling molecule as clearly noted in the Wiki link I post above.

On the other hand, radioactive isotopes released into the environment are a serious problem, with half lives in the millions and billions of years. They will continue to pose a threat to all forms of life long after their release into the environment and their concentration level do build up because of their long half life period and relative rate of release into the environment.

It might be interesting to note that Hydrogen Sulfide need not be considered an escape bi-product if handled appropriately. There is a simple method where Hydrogen Sulfide can be disassociated into its constituent elements of Hydrogen and Sulfur, exposure to 3452°F induces disassociation. The geothermal plants could capture and process the hydrogen sulfide into Hydrogen gas and sulfur as a commodity.
And here's another method -
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120055808

quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

in case you missed it - http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-15/n...al-venture

so who went to work today - or did we all buy heco stock - grin

orphans and widows venture - 5% annual return utilities on a cost plus model...

The off island gatekeepers have decided this will benefit Puna or Oahu? ... all at cost plus not a bad investment imho - even if it isnt socially responsible

just getting into season three of throne.... they have very neat dragons - lots of h2so04 in dragon exhaust it seems ...... may be up late - grin

over and out.....

Where one man sees disaster, another see's opportunity. Sounds like they hit a "mother load" to me and might be able to go back and harness the commodity therein now capped.