Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OFFICIAL name of the island?
Man Lee, just a day off!

Just been tiling & finishing up first started & THE LAST bath to be finished (7+ years isn't too bad to remodel a bath....right???)

Wiki has Hawai'i... also has Island of Hawai`i, Hawai`i Island, & Big Island

I think Moku o Hawai`i predates Moku o Keawe, as mesquite (keawe) was introduced in the 1800's, I think from the paniolas...

Gee, no one even MENTIONED 'Orchid Isle'!...or dat momona island ova der wit Pele...

But have enjoyed the serious nature of this!
Big Island is the "official" name of the biggest island where as Hawaii is the state name. Here's a funny take on the original name of the island Owhyhee as per one of the local long time residents in Volcano.
http://www.gordonmorse.com/htm/mo.htm
Big island, mo'better
The way I heard it and I've been living here (well not here but Oahu) for a long time... If you have lived here (in the hawaiian island chains) for over 10 years then you can call yourself a local. Smile After 10 years you can get your official flow'en here not born here t-shirt... Big Grin

USGS map of Hawaii with the Islands identified

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2007/1089/
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

So what do you call someone that lives here that's not ethnic hawaiian, and you know like Texan or New Yorker

I'm a European American / California Hawaiian
we live in the Puna district on Hawai'i, in Hawai'i

'in' = state
'on' = island

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
In the game of baseball, the decider is called The Umpire.

In the game of US geographical names, the decider is called The United States Board of Geographical Names. All federal government entities defer to their decisions, and they say the official name is:

Island of Hawai'i

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/...619::NO:RP::
There is more evidence that Hawai'i island was always Hawaii. The word hawaii means homeland. The legend is a polynesian man named Hawaii Loa found the Hawaiian islands.

Owhyhee is what Cook wrote down in his log after asking the natives what the name of the island was. Remember, the Hawaiian language didn't get phoneticized until many years later. So, if you can imagine Cook sitting in his cabin writing his log after the evening rum, owhyhee is the pronunciation a drunk Brit would have thought he heard.

The Maori landed in New Zealand about 1,000 years ago. There are so many similarities between the native Hawaiians and the native Maori that it's widely accepted they are closely related. By 1,000 years ago, the Polynesians had populated Tonga, Samoa, the Marquessas, Tahiti and Hawaii. There is more evidence that a group of the early Tahitians that became Hawaiians departed from Hawaii not long after settling there and went south to find New Zealand. The Maori word for their originating homeland is Hawaiki, which is described as a paradise to the north.

When King Kamehameha conquered the rest of the islands, he proclaimed the name Hawai'i for the entire island chain. Big Island is slang to distinguish Hawaii island from Hawaii, the state.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Michener (and I believe Beckwith) have it as Haviki.... Hawaii being the modernised version - from trip advisor:

"Hawaii by James Michener - A wonderful work of historical fiction traces the history of Hawaii beginning with the first inhabitants from Tahiti, Haviki and Bora Bora running through the end of World War II. Michener's Hawaii is very compelling, weaving family histories through out the book and will hold you captive through all 900+pages."

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g292...ading.html