Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where to buy a lawn mower?
I second Garden Exchange. Not only do you get a mower that's already put together, but they start it up, give you a little lesson on it, and register it w/the mfr, too. After 3 years, ours was having some problems which we couldn't seem to fix, we took it in and they did a tune up and got it working like new again, new blades, new plug, everything. We also liked their sales and service on our chain saw and weed whacker. they will explain the difference in all they carry and take the time with you. You don't really get that from HD - where they basically read the box for you.
Before giving up on our mower I went to *every* place I could think of to get a replacement spark plug. The guy at Pahoa feed/small engine repair said "good luck finding one around here". Another...whatever...for the Toro brand.

But to update this thread, I found out the mower may be still under warranty.
http://goo.gl/BMtwMx

what kinda spark plug do you need?
I ordered one off of amazon. I might pick one up in Hilo if I can find one, to try and speed things up. Ace in Pahoa has an impressive variety of small engine spark plugs, in case anybody is looking for any other type of mower plug.
I bought a self-propelled mower with a a Honda engine from Costco. It's still running 16 years later, but is spewing black smoke now. I've used it hard and beat it up, cutting tall weeds, filling the filter with dirt, and smashing the blades into rocks.

However, my experience, across the board, is that brands that were excellent 10-15 years ago are often junk if you buy a new one today.
I have become more and more impressed with ACE Hardware in their ability to look up through their vast computer inventory availability network to get what I need if I just ask them. They usually have it in the next, or close to their next store inventory delivery.

Are you a human being, or a human doing?
This is one of those cases where you are glad things don't work out. I was getting ready to replace a mower when all I had to do was go to Garden Exchange and exchange $8 for a spark plug that worked.
Yay!
Now you have the extra jingle to buy 6 good friends to help you celebrate your victory, and a job well done, and still have some left for flowers to the wife!

Are you a human being, or a human doing?
Not to bump a dead thread, but I did notice today that they sell a surprising variety of lawn mowers at Walmart.

I realize that buying one would mean never getting any local service or support on it, but one model was only $150. If you needed a cheap throw away model that competes with renting one locally, it is an option.