Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 Trop. Storms Bring Thoughts on Storm Preparation
Will tequila do? Plus side, lime tree is full of fruit ;~)
Roof swept tidy, gutters and down spouts spick and span. Catchment filters cleaned - Check
Pretty decent supply of human chow - check
Bottle of wine, gin and tonic, & lemon - check
~~~~
Need to hit target tomorrow for kitty food and bit more water. Ugg not looking forward to that

edit to add story at CNN:
In rare event, 2 tropical cyclones aimed at Hawaii
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/05/us/hawaii-...index.html

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
Absolutely not! You can supplement with tequila or scotch or gin or even vodka but bourbon is a necessity.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
We're a Jameson's family ... [8D]
Ever since we toured the distillery in Dublin we have been loyal to the Irish in us.

Also on hand, Bailey's Irish cream for the coffee or tea in the storm moment.
KTA was nuts when I stopped by on my way home at about 4, wall to wall wagons, lines that reached all the way back to the meet department. The guy stocking bottled water couldn't even get it one the shelves, people were just grabbing the cases off the pallet mover. Overheard someone saying they were the last place with water, but I have no way of knowing how accurate that was. Overheard one women expressing gratitude that her EBT card had come in time, she also said they were going to eat a lot of spam this month no matter what, since she was using up their month's food budget to have easy no power non perishable foods for the possible aftermath of these storms. People were patient, kind to one another, and generally sharing their aloha.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
We had prepared the last time... just had to replace spam I used for hubby's breakfast couple of times the past month.

Now it is just the waiting....

But it is going to be a 2.8' high tide at 12:30 pm on Thursday. That used to be a pretty high tide (now DLNR uses 3.15+ for planning). So as the surge comes in so will the tide... so stay safe and back away from the ocean. With the counter clockwise rotation, Hilo Bay should also be breaking big as it passes us so stay away from the bay too.

It looks like wind will be about 55KT's when it comes in. (60-ish mph)

That's nice about the aloha. People were nice last night too.

Safeway got in water from the unloaded container today, and it was all gone by midday. Target didn't have a single bottle of water already by last night, but from shopping there I've learned that Wednesday is container day (tuesday night), because they are always out of stuff on Tuesdays.

I'm glad not to be buying cases of water. Really like our water purifier.
This is what we have, the Big Berkey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGiU08vjoew
Sold on Amazon too.

I stocked up on cat food last night. I can be out of a lot of things but the cat stinkeye I don't want to deal with.
Thanks to Mauna loa and Mauna kea they won't hit us. Just the rain and some gusts. Everyone frenzy stocking for nothing here on the big island. Other islanders different story.
Why do you think that the mountains would keep a hurricane from hitting the island? The would protect one side of the island or the other if a hurricane actually ever hit the island but they wouldn't actually stop a hurricane from hitting the island.

That is just superstition in my personal useless two cents. Show me any type of scientific data that states otherwise. I would love to see that.
quote:
Originally posted by Hawaii Bound

Why do you think that the mountains would keep a hurricane from hitting the island? The would protect one side of the island or the other if a hurricane actually ever hit the island but they wouldn't actually stop a hurricane from hitting the island.

That is just superstition in my personal useless two cents. Show me any type of scientific data that states otherwise. I would love to see that.

Part of the reason this persists is the mountain does shear the lower level air current and limits ground heating of the storm (like storms going across the midwest plains). Since it drops off so deep, we dont have the warm shallow water like the gulf to fuel the storm as much.

So the mountain protects us is a partly true statement.