Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will you do if/when Ebola gets here?
snorkle, where did you get your info? Did you just smoke a bola?
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
KathyH -
According to a story on NPR this morning, the man who boarded the flight in Africa was not showing any symptoms of Ebola, and did not until several days after he arrived in the US. The disease cannot be spread unless symptoms develop (fever, etc) so there was no breakdown in the screening process by the airlines.

There was an error in his diagnosis after he went to the hospital in Dallas, when he started to show signs of the disease.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
This patient in Texas is probably a blessing in disguise. As evidenced by his first experience going to a hospital in Dallas there was a degree of complacency about. All hospitals are now thoroughly on notice to take this seriously.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Kathy,
Agreed. Perhaps screening needs to be as strict as a quarantine facility established within infected nations borders. Where a person destine for the united states must stay in quarantine for the appropriate period of time to prove he or she is not infected before being allowed to enter the United States? I don't have an answer for that but someone should.
Thanks for the replies ... [Smile]
quote:
The disease cannot be spread unless symptoms develop (fever, etc)
Is this definite?

Rob, agree it is good for us to have a warning shot so that awareness can be raised.

I guess I disagree that there is no issue with the case arriving. Whether or not hospitals get their act together in catching cases when they present, the fact is that some people who get ill simply don't go in for treatment. So such a person could remain in the community and spread the illness to others, and then there is a cluster.

I'm not normally an advocate for special measures, but honestly, I don't care if travelers from West Africa are inconvenienced if it is going to help stop the spread to this country (and others).

First I think they should limit travel to the affected countries to necessity until and if the epidemic is under control, and second I think people who do fly out of those countries should be screened more aggressively or quarantined. It's their choice to go there.

The Hawai'i government has no problem putting animals into long quarantines to prevent the ingress of rabies (and resulting in great inconvenience to the owneres), and that is all right because we remain rabies free. But we cannot restrict voluntary travel to an area with a deadly and highly contagious disease that is out of control?

My concern is that we will be so concerned about not infringing on freedom to travel the world that we end up chasing this thing instead of getting in front of it.

Kathy
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele kane

Kathy,
Agreed. Perhaps screening needs to be as strict as a quarantine facility established within infected nations borders. Where a person destine for the united states must stay in quarantine for the appropriate period of time to prove he or she is not infected before being allowed to enter the United States? I don't have an answer for that but someone should.

That seems like a system that would be better than what we have now.
There WILL be quarantines once it is out of control, and then a whole lot more people will go through it ...

Kathy
But that (Ebola transmission) isn't likely to happen in a place with a good public health system, like the U.S. Why? Because people with Ebola aren't contagious until they show symptoms.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10/...s-is-ebola
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Maybe the quarantine should apply to all exits from such infected nations into any other nation and furthered by applying the rule to any nation that does not abide by the quarantine? I.e. the U.S. could apply a quarantine rule on any nation that does not abide by the primary quarantine rule and any subsequent nations that don't abide by that also. It sounds harsh but obviously necessary. In the meanwhile the WHO should stamp out the problem in the infected nations so we can get the quarantines lifted asap.
"What will you do if/when Ebola gets here?"

Take normal hygienic precautions that everyone should do all the time anyway: no contact with other people's bodily fluids. This is the same way to avoid getting HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, and a number of other nasty diseases: do not have contact with saliva, vomit, blood, or semen from a person who could possibly be carrying this disease. This is basic hygiene, not rocket science. I think the ability of modern medicine to cure so many things after infection has made people careless about how to avoid contact and infection.

Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Matt Karma asks;
"snorkle, where did you get your info? Did you just smoke a bola?"

Snorkle responds;
Matt; My congratulations on a pun well delivered!

To answer your question; One of many sources is this NEWSWEEK article. There are also the typical "false flag" accusations floating around on the interweb.