Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For You Super Ferry Supporters....
Check out "Island Breath"; A site by Kauai residents that offers a different point of view than HSF publicists.(http://homepage.mac.com/juanwilson/islandbreath/)

quote:
Check out "Island Breath"; A site by Kauai residents that offers a different point of view than HSF publicists.(http://homepage.mac.com/juanwilson/islandbreath/)

when HSF first come up on these message boards I said it ultimately would be used to transport Stykers Brigade I was told I was paranoid! After watching this bit from Juan Wilson isn't rather obvious what's up?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
quote:
Have you forgotten the three trucks from Honolulu that went to Maui. They raped the Iao Stream of it's Puka-puka rocks for personal use back home in Honolulu. That my friend is only the tip of the iceberg.

You know, that has been the thing bothering me the most.
Here you have the biggest environmental event happening to Maui in years. All eyes are on the Super Ferry and its early run. Everyone and their uncle are looking to find something to happen. So a bunch of people, pick the very first voyage, during a contested court case, ahead of schedule, with everyone watching to go out an load their trucks with stolen rocks. Now, we still have that question if anyone actually did see those trucks loading the rocks or if it was more of a "tip" that they had the stolen rocks in them. There also seems to be a lot of missing information surrounding the initial failure of anyone to claim the truck, what rocks were really in the back, if those trucks were Maui based with Oahu tags, and even if the trucks actually made the trip to begin with? It could be the mainland news organizations haven’t reported much on it. But, it does peaks one interest. Does anyone know what’s the current scoop on those three pickups?

Another question. What inspections are currently being done on both air and sea inter-island transportation? From a memo I just read, the shippers say they don't do or have any requirement to inspect anything. They said it will only be the Super Ferry that will have any monitored inspection program for invasive species or illegal activity. Isn't that like complaining about no screen on the front door while not having any walls along the entire back of the house?

Edited by - bob orts on 10/17/2007 08:23:57
quote:
Another question. What inspections are currently being done on both air and sea inter-island transportation? From a memo I just read, the shippers say they don't do or have any requirement to inspect anything. They said it will only be the Super Ferry that will have any monitored inspection program for invasive species or illegal activity. Isn't that like complaining about no screen on the front door while not having any walls along the entire back of the house?

Edited by - bob orts on 10/17/2007 08:23:57

I was curious as to how much Matson and Young Bros, maybe even HA & Aloha are funding the anti-super ferry campaign. Any info around?
Bob, It's a well known fact amoung Puna Makai residents that groups of people from Oahu sometimes visit and scour the coastline of Opihi. There are no Opihi left on Oahu because of over harvesting. A small bag of these is easy to transport on an airplane, and worth quite a lot of money. This is without the HSF.

I'm not saying that Oahuans with trucks will come here looking for Opihi, Maile, tropical reef fish, Ohia poles, Koa logs or 'Ala stone. I'd like to think an environmental study would take these so far sustainable resources into consideration though.

Bob, Your screen door with no walls analogy is valid. Rather than taking down the screen door though, wouldn't it be better to put up some walls? Aloha, Greg

Edited by - greg on 10/17/2007 10:37:38
Anything you could bring on the superferry (for example invasive plants and/or animals) you already can bring on a young brothers ship...its no different, except on the ferry you will get there same-day and travel with your vehicle instead of leaving it in YB's hands. If you don't like YB's service, theres not much you can do about it, until the superferry comes. Boy would it be nice not to have to deal with YB. I think a lot of fears about the superferry, at least the ones expressed on punaweb, are quite speculative and exaggerated. Like running over whales as if they are randomly scattered throughout the pacific ocean, that the beaches will be destoyed or over-run, and that jobs will be taken. Who would ride the ferry to the big island everyday for work? The same guys who are already here building roads and resorts that until now shipped their trucks on young brothers and caught a flight home on weekends. There are already tons of shippments happening interisland everyday. Who would pay $400 or more to take a few opihi or go the the beach for a day? The only thing that will change is you wont have to deal with YB anymore. (well im sure they would have to compete so it might become a good service) And if you are concerned about traffic...for every 300 cars and trucks it brings, 300 more leave. If kauai doesnt want it we'll take it. One more thing...there's no way that ship is gonna go 40 in winter, not with 10'+ swells, so it wont be completely dependable. There will be days that it wont be able to operate and days that it is really late. So business travelers will not be able to use it much.

Just some thoughts,

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
look, the bottomline is the HSF broke the law with blessing of Groucho Marx(Lingle). Hawaii doesn't need either of them here in my opinion! the HSF is just tied in way to close to the military for me to feel comfortable with it being here!

They are gonna kill Humpbacks eventually people! Wake up and smell the coffee! There is no way they can avoid it at the speed the vessel travels at, nor will a Humpback
survive a hit from the HSF.

Wait till the rest of the islands find out that the Big Island has Croqi Frogs & Fireants to offer it fellow islanders, then see has fast Honolulu moves to ban the HSF from the Big Island! What will we get in return, rapid deployment of the "Stinker Brigade" to our island. Plus a bunch of jerks from Oahu who could care less about the ecology of our island! When the last time any of you spent anytime on Oahu. People, the majority of the folks over there just roll down their car windows and toss out their lit cigarette butts , or their just finshed McDonald wrappers etc,etc.. Kauai doesn't want that to their pristine island, nor do we. Or I'd hope the majority of you would feel that way?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
In truth, I am torn between supporting and opposing the ferry. I am a State DLNR Enforcement Officer, and I have thought of many nightmares that none have mentioned here that I know will occur if and when the ferry comes. I hesitate to discuss any, as I don't want to give anybody any more bad ideas. I have lived here 25 years, and seen the seemingly unstoppable (and mostly unpleasant)growth here. As noted, there is much un-regulated removal of resources going on as we speak, with resources legally and illegally removed shipped out on YB, Matson, Hawaiian and Aloha. Should the three truckloads of rocks been on YB in a container for example, the only difference is that maybe no one would have noticed. There is no crime unless the rocks can be proven to come from State property or otherwise stolen from a private landowner, and since I don't know the details on that case, I won't comment further.

As to the ferry itself, my opinion, FWIW, is that the ferry is probably one of the lesser vessel threats to the whales. The jet technology (no propellers) is also one of the most agile and environmentally friendly available. We now have close to 200 cruise ships, all with huge propellers, in state waters yearly. These travel at speeds of 20-25 knots, and are just slightly more manuverable than the Island of Maui, and would take over a mile to stop, if they had any sort of whale avoidance watch. I, too worry about the whales, and I have actually saved two from certain death, probably not too many others can actually make that claim.

I do think that we need alternative forms of transportation and shipping (I.E. Fair competition), along with the ability to effectively deal with the threats to our environment that will continue to escalate regardless of whether the super ferry is allowed to operate.

quote:
Hawaii is a good place for good business. It is, however, a bad place for bad business"

Hawaii is a bad place to do business any way you look at it. Things are so backwards are archaic here. No wonder Hawaii was called the People's Republic of Hawaii by Forbes.

It seems that any major project developer has to confer with environmentalists before it can get the green light.

Unless things change Hawaii will remain a backwater state.