Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Feeling on people shopping-dining Pahoa?
Wondering if they're gonna close Longs if it continues on its projected path (considering the closeness to the flow and the fumes)
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Ning's tends to close every year for about a month. They go to Thailand, if I remember correctly.

Right,this is normal !!It's the off season.
quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

Wondering if they're gonna close Longs if it continues on its projected path (considering the closeness to the flow and the fumes)

Good question. And will it get a lot more fumes than Malama Marketplace?

Kathy
Leilani guy, you party pooper. I was hoping the flow would go down by the Post Office road, not Kahakai..
But, I have been to the restaurants, jamming, getting my shrimp burrito at Luquins.
Driving down Kahakai today at around 4 PM, there were at least seven garage sales signs all over.
Are they moving or just cashing in??

punalvr
punalvr
The HVO scientists say there is very little SO2 or anything else in the lava, since it is so far from the vent. Most of the smoke is from vegetation. (I know, smoke is smoke.) But since the two places are across the street from each other, probably the same amount of smoke. All of us on "the other side" will still shop at longs and the Malama shops as long as they can stay open since it is still a much shorter distance than anywhere else.
I've been thinking that any stores that remain standing north of the flow once it crosses the highway, would benefit greatly, as tourists would be flocking to the new "end of the road" to see the lava. If that happens, imagine owning that BBQ joint off Hwy 130...jackpot?

So imagine my surprise when I heard the RUMOR (and I emphasize RUMOR) that Malama might close when the lava crosses, because they'd be "losing half their employees." To me this doesn't at all sound like a logical reason, as there would surely be no shortage of folks applying for those open positions. On the other hand, losing half their customer base would make much more sense to me...but I'm wondering if the tourist's wouldn't make up for it?

Anyone else have information about Malama's status? And does anyone have a different take on this than mine? Would the new "end of the road" NOT be a boon to businesses just north of the flow?
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
quote:
Originally posted by punalvr

Leilani guy, you party pooper. I was hoping the flow would go down by the Post Office road, not Kahakai..
But, I have been to the restaurants, jamming, getting my shrimp burrito at Luquins.
Driving down Kahakai today at around 4 PM, there were at least seven garage sales signs all over.
Are they moving or just cashing in??

punalvr

Sorry to poop. I think it's safe to say they're moving, I was in town yesterday and there were several pickups that went by loaded with furniture, all headed north. Garage sales here are not a great way to make money here BTW I had 5 earlier this year, and lost my butt.
Punafish,
If the tourists are permitted to see the lava, they will flock. There's a huge pent up demand and there was always a high demand anyway.

If the end if the road will be manned as a forced turnaround, then not so much.

Kathy
Kathy, I guess my image is based on what I saw during ocean entries at Kalapana. You drove as far as you could, horizontally parked, then walked to the lava viewing area. On the way were lots of vendors with tents set up selling their wares. Why wouldn't Pahoa do the same thing? Except...shops in Malama Market would be right there, so no tents (at least LESS tents) would be needed.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Malama market is owned by Foodland and nothing on the website indicates it will be closing.