Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New cameras on speed limit signs hwy130
"I followed a large pickup truck for miles on Hwy 130 the other day, loaded with equipment for a job, clearly an ongoing job as it looked like a regular work site vehicle. No license plate, no safety sticker, no Hawaiian Kingdom tags, no police, no problem."

Ah, well, there you go HOTPE. If the vehicle has no license plate then there's no way to track it, so no wonder there were no police.
This morning I went into Kea'au and looked for these cameras. There are a surprising number of them deployed along 130 between Shower and Pahoa. Most are deployed in pairs, but there are a few singles. Not all are on speed limit limit signs either. They point at the highway, and at side road intersections (like Paradise) etc. They look like high end trail cams, painted in a green and tan camo scheme with small solar panels and cell antennas mounted next to the cameras. They appear to have infrared for the "flash" portion. They are NOT radar units.
Starting this Monday, The Highway 130 Cloak & Camo Shoppe will open it's doors, or trunk. We'll be parked inconspicuously on the side of the road, somewhere before the Milo Street intersection, offering a wide assortment of beards, mustaches, and large glittery (reflective) New Years glasses from the first decade of this century. You know, the ones that say 2005 or 2009 with the 00's in the middle as lenses (discounts available on all years).

You'll have plenty of time while waiting in traffic to perfectly adjust your new Fyodor Dostoyevsky Model Beard, or Yosemite Sam Style Mustache, or wait for your eyes to adapt to whatever prescription came with your discount New Years glasses.

By the time you get to the mysterious sign mounted Highway 130 cameras, you'll be the one giving THEM (whoever they are) something to wonder about.

Free with every purchase, one 8.5" x 11" windshield sign that reads:

WHAT IS THIS CAMERA FOR?
PLEASE POST REPLY TO:

http://www.punaweb.org/forum/post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=20524&FORUM_ID=2

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
In listening to the officers doing infractions, you were listening to TEU, Traffic Enforcement Unit. They set up at different places around the island at different times, and traffic is their only job.
"They appear to have infrared for the "flash" portion. They are NOT radar units."

Still confused. Infrared doesn't need a flash, and even if there is an infrared flash, you wouldn't see it. That's where I was coming from, i.e., it narrows things down if people are seeing flashes from the cameras.

Haven't seen any of these units myself yet.
I saw a couple of these on the please drive with aloha signs on Maku'u, so I have to assume they are installed by the CoH, not the State. My personal assumption is they are some sort of traffic counter that doesn't require nailing down (and maintaining) hoses in the road but I could easily be wrong. It seems like he simple solution would be to call the Mayor's office (961-8211) on Monday and ask what they are, and what their purpose is. Maybe I will do this if nobody else comes up with an accurate assessment before then...
HereOnThePrimalEdge
Starting this Monday, The Highway 130 Cloak & Camo Shoppe will open it's doors, or trunk.

Dostoyevsky beard AND Yosemite Sam Mustache - now that's inspired styling! Where's my clippers? No doubt the wife will think "Great horny toads, The Idiot!" Wink
TomK - I should have said night vision. They look to be a typical trail cam. Smile
Big Brother is your friend! Seriously though - why the fuss unless you have something to hide?
I called the Mayor's office today and was referred to Traffic at Hilo Public Works. Talked to a pleasant guy who said the County is installing these cameras along potential evacuation routes in Puna in case the lava crosses the highway. They would like to keep track of traffic flow rates along various corridors and have recently completed installing them along Railroad Blvd as well.