Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's say the TMT protestors succeed...
Next time I call a press conference I will be as frank as I am on PW.
Is this the same dakine who on another thread said:
"stop with your inflammatory BS [...] maybe its best you just shut up!"

Now that's respect!
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

Why is this thread filled with so much disrespect?

I believe those who wish to speak of their position one way or the other should feel that other's with opposing views have enough respect for them to listen and consider what they say. Why is it that almost every post here is filled with condescending hostility? Where is the humanity in that? Why would any of you who speak so disparagingly of others think while doing so you deserve their, or anyone else's, respect yourself?

I have a view, and I see many who post here have opposing views, but what is the point of all the belittling? All the putting down, speaking with disrespect? Really, if you were invited to share your views on TV would you speak them as such? If you were asked to come before some legislative body and speak your mind would you speak it with such a tone? If you were asked to share your views anywhere where you are accountable other than in a forum such as this would you really stand up and make such a spectacle of yourself? If not, why do you do it here?

Dakine, from your posting history it's obvious you are a kind and caring person who cares passionately about our home, this island. I personally have no intention of being disrespectful to you or anyone else. I find this entire debacle disturbing, hugely disturbing. First, our economy could potentially take a hit, who wants to do business here, with our new reputation of instability and hostility? And just when the mayor is being exposed for corruption? And a lava flow that almost took out a town? Do we really need this protest right now? I see no validity in it whatsoever and much potential harm.

The protesters are disrespecting the Canadians, the entire astronomy community, the island, our state and country. Look again Dakine to see where the real disrespect is coming from. Is it possible that the posters here are aghast and disappointed at the criminal behavior and destruction from the protesters? It's crazy making stuff, you can't attempt to relive Hawaiian history without being massively destructive in the present. Too many call this their home and righteously so for any predatory faction to decide what is and isn't real. We are NOT living in a time warp, get over it! That is clinically criminal predatory behavior and they belong in jail.

Sorry if you find my words disrespectful, that is not even remotely my intention, you still have my respect regardless. But I find this movement and your support of it a criminal matter. Just straight up honesty as a response to your question.
Dakine, it's more than just opposing views, this isn't some random discussion. Damage is being done to our agreements and business with the scientific world. The reputation of Hawaii island is being dragged in the mud from 2 directions with yet to be seen ramifications. It's hard not to be inflammatory in the face of destructive acts that directly impacts you, your business and your loved ones.
Well it's one thing to ignore virtually every agreement this Country has ever made with indigenous peoples;

But dag nabbit, we better not mess with a Corporation! That could interfere with future subsidies for these Companies.

If the protesters succeed in stopping the $1.4 billion dollar project, then Mount Nahnalaud, or Mt. Kinabalu might be a better options. Mount Nahnalaud by far would have least light pollution but is much shorter and harder to reach. Under 800 meters is a serious problem despite no light pollution.

Mt. Kinabalu is high however, currently no access road. This said, tourists easily reach the top of this volcano by foot.

Mount Kinabalu. Elevation , 4,095 m
Mauna Kea stands 4,205 m

Had the committee selected Kinabalu it probably would have been well under construction by now.

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

Actually 007 I would suggest the greater damage, the greater crime since you put it in such terms, is the long standing allusion to, or as I have termed it here the promise made by the actions of governments on all levels to the Hawaiian community of a right to self determination, to the expectation of their concerns being addressed.

So even though by what I understand to be your thesis it may be criminal to carry on as the protesters are I would counter with the notion that it is a greater crime for the state to be continuing to issue permits for development on land they do not have a clear title to.

And still, all along, I have pointed out that I do not think the underlying issue is the TMT project. This I believe will become evident now that the protest has expended and the term Aloha Aina has been adopted. I believe we shall see this play out in the coming days as footage of the gatherings, in Hilo yesterday, continuing on Mauan Kea and growing in numbers, and at todays gathering at Iolani Palace on Oahu as well as elsewhere begin to be broadcast. Even now on social media the numbers of people participating today are showing up on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. and are impressive.

So I would put forth, let the TMT stand as an icon, as a rallying symbol that gives the Hawaiian community, and their supporters, a chance to gather and get their grievances aired. It is a healthy process and one very entrenched in the fabric of American society. Otherwise the same grievances will need to find another catalyst. At some point I think, hope, we can all agree we all will be better off after they are air, and addressed, then ever it has been up until now.

"An icon, as a rallying symbol"

That's objectification Dakine. Ok to sacrifice, the good works of good men and women to air grievances? No it's not. The supporters you mention are naive and foolishly buy into the apologist mindset, it's tapping into a timewarp of mis/displaced guilt.

Then there's the entitlement issues of the original protesters, so spoiled by having one of the best welfare systems in the world.Up until recently there was a serious island welfare lifestyle on the Big Island. Either go to King Kam schools, best education for free or live on welfare free or both. This is not healthy.

Can't turn back the clock, and I wonder what Hawaii would look like now if it had never become a state. There would probably be new Gods created, chants and prayers to the Gods of the United States begging to be rescued from the Japanese during WWII.

Da kine, why you worry about these screen names on "PW" ? For real, nothing these "haters" say on here will ever affect anything good or bad! We all do realize that, right? Look at who's on here, the same dam names, always! Keyboard quarterbacks! Lol!

My son goes to KAMEHAMEHA schools, it isn't free! Keep talking sh!t, it don't matter!

Well said Bananahead. LMFAO!!!! Say that outloud a couple times!! Priceless comedy on PW!

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island

See ya wouldn't want to be ya!!! Goodbye Puna worthless no matter web!!!!!!!
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?
Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, for He is capable of all things.

Except maybe peace on Punaweb.