Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a random thread about coconuts
Staying on track with the random coconut theme... back in highschool, as part of a class they had us make rope by hand from coconut husk the old fashioned way. I still have a length of it. It's as strong as ever and actually quite beautiful. Lovely color.
The Locavore Store in Hilo (previously in Pahoa) sells locally grown and produced coconut oil, flour and milk. Sure, it's a little pricier than imported stuff but it nice to have the option to buy it locally.
Hardhats? Helmets?

Suddenly it's OSHA and Workers' Comp.

Shredded coconut fiber is an amazing agricultural product, useful for growing orchids and such. Despite growing coconuts locally, the fiber is imported from Thailand, just like those steel cans of coconut water, which can somehow sell for $1/each after manufacturing and shipping.
Suddenly it's OSHA and Workers' Comp

If a plantation ever became Kingdom of Hawaii property, OSHA and Workers Comp wouldn't apply. Workers would have to hope for a very comprehensive Kingdom HealthCare Plan.

Coconuts. (wouldn't want to go off topic)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

A total of 3.4% of all injuries[/b] presenting to the surgical department was related to the coconut palm.

Not only are they deadly, but technically, coconut palms are an invasive species. We obviously need an expensive county program to eradicate them.
We obviously need an expensive county program to eradicate them.

State is on this one -- by underfunding the Department of Ag, it's basically inevitable that the rhino beetle will reach the Big Island, presto, no more palm trees, followed by a press release that explains "we have no idea how that invasive species got here".
...and snow machines, installed all around the island so the place looks more civilized, like New Hampshire. A few Nuclear Power plants would be able provide sufficient power for them. Ideally the plants would be built in Pahala, so we could commiserate with our brethren in Fukushima when the inevitable earthquake/disaster occurs.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
A total of 3.4% of all injuries...
Not only are they deadly...

And with an element of danger involved with coconuts, can it be long before our impressionable island youth take to ingesting them? There will be cocotree climbing parties hidden in coves along the coast or in the jungle where raves once took place. The wildest among them will wield machetes to release the components of the nut, milk, soft meat, hard meat...
They'll develop methods for extracting the most flavorful coconut cream, the ultimate high known as cocololo.

Then, finally, as originally suggested by Frankie, the county will get involved and form a commission that looks into the problem, and print tee shirts:

CocoNO!

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
North shore Oahu, 1974-6, just south of the pipe line. There's a spot I surfed for a couple of years. It was a sweet spot, nearly always rights and lefts yet never crowded. I'd park my 66 barracuda fast back late, late at night on Ke nui rd and sleep there, (in the day you wouldn't get towed), to surf the sunrise.

One evening I found a coconut fully germinated about 2 feet tall. I stuck it in the ground next to a property line, and watched it grow a bit the rest of the time I was there.

So, one might say, I made a contribution to the coconut tree population Smile

(Or I was fulfilling the venture dream of visiting a pacific island and planting a coconut tree [grin])
Coconut frozen yogurt goes well with just about anything.