Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
broadband, anyone?
Now it's only 2.3 down and .38 up. So much for 12/3.
18.9/4.4 now. That's great but I would rather just have the 12/3 they promised me.
Getting DSL service to our house was never physically impossible. The previous owner had a phone, so I know they had voice service, I do not know if they had broadband service.

The thing about Hawaiian Telcom is that their excuses changed over time. For over 2 years they said there weren't enough "ports". Then they said that their copper was "saturated" and we wouldn't get service until fiber upgrades were completed. Then after the article about the FCC paying $400,000.00 to hook up 500 customers in Orchidland ($800 per customer) came out, I was ready to go the distance. I was going to continue complaining up the chain until people at the FCC were answering to people in congress (that would mean a certain utility was answering a LOT of questions) explaining why a pre-existing-copper wired home near the highway 'backbone' couldn't get service the taxpayers had paid for.

But I didn't have to. I POLITELY inquired to somebody outside of the sales/install office, they did "something" and a day later somebody called me back and said they could hook me up in 10 days. It didn't seem like a heavy lift on their end. The "installer" came to our home, handed us a box with the router, spent about a minute turning a screw on a box on the side of our house, then we had broadband. I suspect they probably could have done that 3 1/2 years ago. If they wanted to.

ETA: They really should think about their business model. I would have paid them $800 to hook up broadband 3 1/2 years ago. Certainly would have been cheaper than the money I threw at Verizon over the years. Imagine all of us who have been paying for wireless, satellite, etc. Too bad they are focused on short-term profits rather than long-term ones.
Too bad they are focused on short-term profits rather than long-term ones.

Yes: New Telcom looks at the 5-year ROI on anything they deploy (treating it as an "investment"), while conventional telcoms typically assume 20-year (or longer) amortization on the physical plant (eg, focus is on "provide service").
To Mark P
How is The Exude service ?
Unfortunately I have no choice but use them
To Mark P
How is The Exude service ?
Unfortunately I have no choice but use them
It's OK. Right now I am benefiting from Liberty Pass (much slower speeds), having used up my Priority Data of 12 gigs. That said, I just ran a speed test and got 2.2 down and .18 up. Compare that to 2.3 down and .38 up a few days ago when I was still supposedly sucking off of the Priority Data teet. I seem to be able to watch utube vids without too much trouble. Maybe I have developed such a tolerance for slow internet that I don't even notice. It does go out every now and then in heavy rain. Also I burned through my priority data in half a month whereas last billing period it lasted the whole month. I wouldn't have said I was using that much more recently.

I kick myself because I almost signed up last December. If I had I would have gotten 150 gigs of priority data for $100/month. As it is I am paying $80/month for 12 gigs of priority and 138 gigs of "bottom of the bucket" data service.
I just got 590 kilobits/sec down and 914 up, my punishment for not controlling myself earlier in the billing period. Just played a U-tube video. It buffered at first then ran OK.
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

I kick myself because I almost signed up last December. If I had I would have gotten 150 gigs of priority data for $100/month. As it is I am paying $80/month for 12 gigs of priority and 138 gigs of "bottom of the bucket" data service.

I was having the exact same conversation with myself just yesterday!
I looked online yesterday for availability at my address in Orchidland. Not found. I didn't see that as unusual based on past comments in the post. My husband called Hawaii Telcom. Same thing, couldn't find the address and said it was not available. Before I start kicking this up the chain I am asking fellow Orchidland residents, besides Terracore, have you been able to get DSL installed?

My former neighbors, who just moved back to the mainland, had Excede satellite. The Excede website discloses it may not be compatible with a VPN so I can't chance it.

We are getting a permanent power pole for temp power today. I need to be up on a good internet connection 30 days from now.

Thanks, Susan