Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CoH takes care of it's burglars
quote:
Studies indicate that increased punishment does not reduce crime, it just placates the outraged masses.

It also clearly stops them from committing crimes if they are incarcerated. Stealing a car is big deal, do you really think the type of person who would gang up with 2 other criminals to break into the house of a senior citizen and steal her vehicle will miraculously become productive members of society with probation?
More of the same, only different:

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...-plea-deal

"Altura was on supervised release for the May 21, 2014, burglary of the Mountain View home of Detective Shawn Tingle when he was arrested Sept. 18, 2014, for the burglary 10 days earlier of an Orchidland Estates home. That home’s resident, a 35-year-old man, told police he saw a man entering his house through a window, then exiting the home and fleeing in a van driven by another man."

So this guy did (failed?) the second break in while being on release for hitting Officer Tingle's house earlier?

I guess society's problems cause society's problems...

Cheers,
Kirt
quote:
Originally posted by VancouverIslander

Studies indicate that increased punishment does not reduce crime, it just placates the outraged masses. It's an attempted robbery that resulted in 9 months in jail and 4 years probation, this is not a slap on the wrist. As a society we put way too much faith in prisons to 'keep us safe' and too little emphasis on rehabilitation and prevention, and by prevention, I mean education and an active neighborhood watch. Too many of our young people are being put in jail in the vain hope that it will reform them. I've met people on this Island that have been put in jail for sleeping on a park bench because they are homeless and don't have the money to pay a fine for it. I've met a guy who was going to jail because he made the mistake of driving without current safety stickers on his vehicle (repeat offenses, no money to pay fine). When you get out of jail, you have a record and your employment prospects drop further, leaving little option but crime to make a living, especially for those with few skills due to a lack of education. What we really need are programs to teach job skills and entrepreneurship combined a lot more community service sentences for those who break the law.

Just call me Mike

I hear ya, the data does show that... But, it sure sends a pretty good message to wanna be thieves that maybe it's not a good idea. Some people have to set the example for the others. Sometimes a longer punishment produces other effects.

Being a victim myself not long ago, someone took my shindawa $500 machine off my deck. I swear everything you got needs to be nailed down or under lock and key. I am going to finish the fence soon just have a bit more to go, and get a couple of dogs, because, the police here are a joke ... the entire system is a joke.

I'm in the camp that these people that want to steal, should be put away for a long time. Sometimes I wonder if I had a gun, would I have used it on a young punk stealing a weedeater? Is it worth a life for stealing such a small item? I think that would effect me more then than the thief. I know there are some that say, shoot em in the leg. Fine, what if the bullet hits an artery and he bleeds to death. Dunno, I wish I had a better answer, I only know for certain that theft in puna is probably going to continue to rise. No jobs here sadly. Less work, equals less tax money for police, so... what you gonna do? Let's get TMT built already! More job... Less crime?
Regarding the age-old debate over punishment vs. rehabilitation which has popped up in this thread, it probably wouldn't hurt to take into consideration how we compare statistically with other countries. U.S. among the highest incarceration rate per capita. Likewise, U.S. crime rates have remained disproportionately high as I recall. I'm curious how Hawaii compares statistically to the rest of the nation. May try look it up later when I get a chance.

The debate so far has been incarceration vs. letting them out on minimal supervision to do more crimes. Rehabilitation doesn't seem to be part of the Hawaii criminal justice process.
" I wonder if I had a gun, would I have used it on a young punk stealing a weedeater? Is it worth a life for stealing such a small item?"

Theft alone would not justify the use of deadly force under the law.

No not theft alone, but I might be in fear for my life when encountering a strange man on my property who moves in a fast, aggressive manner with a dark/shiny object in his hand!
I wouldn't recommend killing someone with a mind to fabricate or embellish the circumstances either. I'd leave that for the movies.
Right or wrong you risk losing all your assets. Sounds like a lose/lose proposition.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I figure a jury trial is the way to go what with so many victims in this community...