Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for 18 yr old
All I can say is if he goes it alone, it will be a very maturing and humbling experience.

Community begins with Aloha
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/32078...m-mainland
Homeless provider sees influx of mainland clients
quote:
George Schemel just checked in to the IHS men's shelter in Iwilei. Up until three weeks ago, the 65-year-old was living on the streets of California.

"I come over here to have a good time and go back when I need to go back," he said.

In the short time he's been here, he's says he spent all of his money and landed himself in the hospital after a fight. This is the second time in as many years George has been homeless in Hawaii. Last time, he was on Maui.

"Basically every time I come over here I never think it through very much," Schemel said.

Schemel is among a growing number of clients that Hawaii's largest emergency shelter is seeing who are from the mainland.

So, you do know these "nonprofit" corporations get most of their money from state grants? State grants that are financed by kamaaina paying their taxes?

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/04/us/haw....html?_r=0

"And the tourist industry put up money to cover airfare for homeless people who had come from the mainland and who said they were ready to go home."

I always thought that was just a rumor and the rumor usually had the homeless being sent the other way.
When I was 18, I had a plan to move to Wyoming and start a life there. Never did it. To this day (60 yrs old), I cannot help but wonder how things would have played out with the Wyoming Plan. So I say, go for it, young man - you will never know what it would have been like if you hadn't tried it.

We are not the jungles of Guyana, we are in the U.S., with U.S. services and even a Target, Safeway, Sears, and a genuine airport to go home if you want.

I know a few people who came here with round-trip tickets in the late '70s and never took the flight back. I see nothing different in 2016.

I do hope this kid has skills of some sort, is mature, and is a go-getter. That's going to go a long way. If the parents know him as a young man who has any # of things that could make it a bad choice: is irresponsible, never does for himself, sleeps til noon, trusts anyone he comes into contact with, squanders money, has poor social skills, is unwilling to take entry-level jobs, etc., then yeah, he's going to have a problem.

My last advice to him: He might want to wait until he's 21. It's not that far away.
"I do hope this kid has skills of some sort, is mature, and is a go-getter."

http://www.businessinsider.com/millennia...eal-2016-2
LOL terracore. I fear for our future.
I like TasmanianRhonda's comment that "maybe this person was destined to be a Jack Kerouac". After reading "On the Road" at age 20 I took off for San Francisco - clueless, barely enough money to share gas & eat PB&Js, and no "plan" beyond getting to City Lights Bookstore. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't held on to that gas money, and it did eventually get me back home to Pittsburgh, with a great adventure of having followed my dream to remember "in tranquility." Fast forward 50+ years and it feels like my Puna adventure is a similar leap of faith... I say to the young man, go for it, but save some "gas money" just in case. Or as the Sufi saying goes, "Trust in God but tie your camel first." I also understand the parents' concern - the wilds of Hawaii can seem pretty far afield for your child's first adventure.
Awesome! Live life young man!

But don't do it in Puna. Go to Kona, Lahaina, or Kauai.

Puna is NOT safe. And this has been proven time and time again.
When I was in my twenties I also hit the road. At a gas station somewhere in Wyoming I ran out of money. After filling up the tank of my old van I had just a few bucks left. I thought about what I should do... It was a hot day so I bought root beer and vanilla ice cream to make a float. Sensible - no. Exhilarating - absolutely! The freedom I felt when I spent that last dollar was worth a handful of diamonds to me. I finally got what it meant to be on the road. If you're looking to be "safe" it's true that Puna is not safe- and neither is anywhere else worth going. So go while you're young.
You are only 18 once.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.