Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PUEO President Shares Vision for Hawaii Youth
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69
E1600, for some reason it doesn't surprise me that you asked that question "in person". The TMT has not and will not be built on Mauna Kea, jmo.
I never said anyone including Keahi was going to accept money from the TMT project itself, nice try. My history reference was to Keahi's father, brother, and himself all having worked on the contruction or building of the prior rubber stamped astronomy telescopes, the TMT would just keep their "family" tradition intact. I would expect Keahi to have taken this position or stand on this TMT issue, its not surprising and I wish him good luck.

I asked them because that is how you learn things.

If you're going to say their opinion doesn't matter because their family has done work for the scientific community in general then you should also point your fingers at anyone who has used EBT, SNAP, roads, police, fire, subsidized health care. Why? Because the "astronomy" people pay a ****-ton of taxes and projects.

"The astronomy sector in Hawaii had an economic impact of $168 million statewide for the 2012 calendar year, according to a recent report released by the University of Hawaii Economic Research Organization."

Your argument is moot and just a personal petty attack.
The astronomy sector in Hawaii had an economic impact of $168 million statewide

That's only, what, about $100/resident?

I'll pay my share if it ends these stupid arguments.
For example, Air conditioned classrooms for our keiki should not be shelved for another couple decades* when we know or they have been proven to help,jmo.

AC for the keiki would require a much greater demand for electricity on the grid. And if I remember correctly from your previous extrapolations, anything (TMT) that requires large amounts of electricity from the grid, which by the way includes all types of large scale air conditioning, would require additional geothermal power plants to be built and you were against that.

Or would additional geothermal power plants only be required for TMT electrical use (bad), but not keiki AC use (good)?

* I never stated a time frame. I only said we are in a cooler La Nina period (which generally lasts 3-7 years). Do you think this summer has been anywhere near as hot as last summer? Or does it seem more "normal?"

“There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.”
-Joseph Brodsky
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

The astronomy sector in Hawaii had an economic impact of $168 million statewide

That's only, what, about $100/resident?

I'll pay my share if it ends these stupid arguments.

Another silly point. I think you'd have a hard time getting an extra $100 a year out of a lot of people who don't put anything into the system.
Another silly point.

Perhaps -- at least as silly as an economy based on "hold it hostage, shake it down".

you'd have a hard time getting an extra $100 a year out of a lot of people who don't put anything into the system

I note that the "protectors" have endless free time for their protests. Perhaps they would like to explain how this brave new "don't build it here" economy will work? I assume it's based on "making everyone pay rent" -- but that's only viable if people want to live here.
"Or would additional geothermal power plants only be required for TMT electrical use (bad), but not keiki AC use (good)?"

It's odd that in addition to this, having an issue with a family that worked for the observatories is only a problem if it's someone who supports the TMT. However, if someone worked for the observatories but is a protestor or supports the protestors, then that's just fine.

Kealoha Pisciotta, one of the protest leaders, worked as a telescope operator for many years on Mauna Kea, and dakine, who supports the protestors, worked as a subcontractor at the CFHT. Apparently Gypsy has no problem with them "[...]excepting [sic] money for food for the desecration of Mauna Kea by this astronomy community."
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

"Kealoha Pisciotta, one of the protest leaders, worked as a telescope operator for many years on Mauna Kea, and dakine, who supports the protestors, worked as a subcontractor at the CFHT. Apparently Gypsy has no problem with them "[...][i]excepting [sic] money for food for the desecration of Mauna Kea by this astronomy community."

I didn't know this. It's really depressing to see how adversarial people have become over a telescope (or perhaps religion?). It's so bad it has gotten to the point where one side is wrong no matter what they do.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

My Opinion is that Keahi has a rich and long history of excepting money for food for the desecration of Mauna Kea by this astronomy community. jmo

'...excepting money for food...'

I am trying to figure out what you are even trying to say, respectfully, is English your 2nd language?
Pueo group breaks ground on cannabis dispensary.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2016/0...ks-ground/

It's Kind of strange to see guys like Wally Ishibashi and Richard Ha supporting and promoting Marijuana or the use of marijuana within our community. These same gentleman really seemed like they were against the growing and use of marijuana for decades. In years past, The Growing of papaya's, banana's, and tomatoes were good for our depressed island while growing pakalolo was bad. Wonder what brought them the complete change of heart and mind? Was it age, Big money, or something else?

P.S. Mr Ha's Marijuana farm should be put on all Island maps much like our many Island Marine fish sanctuaries. His very large MMj farm looks like a wonderful Tourist and youth attraction for that sleepy area along the Hamakua coast. jmo
quote:
Originally posted by Eric1600
"The astronomy sector in Hawaii had an economic impact of $168 million statewide for the 2012 calendar year, according to a recent report released by the University of Hawaii Economic Research Organization."

Probably over 90% of the impact is for Oahu. The number of visitors specifically for astronomy are going mostly to Oahu. There are a few visiting astronomers to this island but it is in the hundreds. On Oahu, it is in the thousands. There was some reference awhile back that Mauna Kea employs about 300 full time residents on Hawaii island and the average pay was about $90K. There are about 195,00 people on this island and about 80,000 are employed full time, probably up to 50,000 part time. This whole thing about a few hundred jobs being so important is blown way out of proportion.

Remember, when UH starts talking economic impact, it is to UH-Manoa, not UHH. UHH is almost like an ugly stepchild for UH-Manoa. The observatories on Mauna Kea have become data acquisition stations. That is why there is dedicated fiber up the side of the slope and that is why there is a major Internet trunk out of Waikaloa. That fiber pumps the data straight to UHH-Manoa where their astronomy department is merged with a supercomputer laboratory.

The main point is what is Hawaii island getting out of it? Supposedly, World Class Schools are totally due to the observatories (wonder if Pahoa High knows that?). It is being used and told that bread crumbs are cake. That is the big problem.

*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*