Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

We have biked/hiked each week for the last 2 months, from both the Kalapana side & the Hawaii Volcanoes NP side

Before it hit the ocean we found the park side to have the most active surface lava, is this still the case?
quote:

...Monday, the better entry viewing was on the Kalapana side (based on videos at the site on little phones & cameras...some by flow crossers)

It's amazing how fast it changes. I went out Tuesday night/Wednesday morning and the park side was better for viewing the ocean entry. Although there was an awesome river of lava pouring over the top on the Kalapana side (I'm a flow crosser) that you could get really close to. No view of the entry on that side though.

Headed out again tonight. After 2 days I'm sure it will be very different. I'll report in tomorrow on what it was like.
Thanks for all the updates.
Just got back. Last night was perfect! Lots of breakouts right on the road. Multiple ocean entries. Didn't even have to cross over the active flow to the park side for a good ocean view. It looked like there was a larger entry on the park side but I didn't go over to see it.

Tip: Save yourself 2 miles (not to mention throngs of people) by NOT going during "viewing hours". We got there at 2 AM, drove all the way in and parked at the last gate. From there it's only 2.17 miles to the flow. Someone at the flow said you could get a $25 ticket for this but when we got back to the car at 7AM no one had a ticket on their vehicle. In fact there were lots of cars just arriving.

Overall one of the best lava viewing experiences ever. It's so great when it's in the national park because they don't restrict your right to enjoy it (and yes, possibly die).

We're going up to the park now and will happily pay our $20 entrance fee. Great park, great rangers and great experiences there. Please support your national park. It's a real treasure.
quote:
Originally posted by Eric1600

quote:

We have biked/hiked each week for the last 2 months, from both the Kalapana side & the Hawaii Volcanoes NP side

Before it hit the ocean we found the park side to have the most active surface lava, is this still the case?

It changes constantly. A couple days ago there were very few breakouts on the Kalapana side. Last night it was almost constant. Really you just never know. You just gotta go and hope Madame Pele rewards you!
Wow. To complete the experience, we went up to Halemaumau around noon and saw the lava spattering above the edge of the crater. Never seen that before.

Oh, and re my previous post, Madame Pele rarely disappoints!
This is pretty darn cool, check this lava footage out: Smile! [Smile]
http://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/hawa...iling-face
Please don't drive out there at 2am. There are homes close to the road. How would you like it if 100 cars and noisy people came and parked in front of your house with head lamps and flashlights all night every night? I have friends that live there who are exhausted from the lack of sleep because of this. And yes, police are ticketing aggressively and consistently out there. It is all a no parking zone past the lava viewing area parking lot.
It's a hike or bike ride to go see the lava- if you're not able to do that, then helicopter or boat are your options.

Just livin the dream
Just livin the dream
quote:
Originally posted by Punalivinexhausted from the lack of sleep

Normally I for one would be sympathetic but really, I can't imagine getting any sleep when lava is flowing so close...I'd be worried about that one inevitable day (or night)!

aloha
aloha
quote:
Originally posted by Punalivin

Please don't drive out there at 2am. There are homes close to the road. How would you like it if 100 cars and noisy people came and parked in front of your house with head lamps and flashlights all night every night? I have friends that live there who are exhausted from the lack of sleep because of this. And yes, police are ticketing aggressively and consistently out there. It is all a no parking zone past the lava viewing area parking lot.
It's a hike or bike ride to go see the lava- if you're not able to do that, then helicopter or boat are your options.

Just livin the dream

hahahahahaha you live next to pele and you are worried about privacy? makes me want to blast my radio next time I drive out there. what a crybaby.